Milky bubbly chicken eye

Nellytheduck

Chirping
Aug 23, 2021
Hi! So yesterday I brought home 4 new golden comet hens, and they’re in quarantine. Today I noticed this (see photo) what do I do?? It’s only one eye. I also have ducks and geese. I’ve read about what it might be, are the other birds in trouble??

What’s the point of quarantine if I’m going to roll the dice on bringing a chicken disease home and treating it either way?

Attachments

• AF801D8A-FEEB-4F8A-BB29-4F079A1FCAFC.png
    AF801D8A-FEEB-4F8A-BB29-4F079A1FCAFC.png
    2 MB · Views: 23
Quarantine far away from your other birds until the new ones have been treated and are all healthy. Chances are that the other 3 could be ill as well. Looks (to me) like a respiratory infection.
@Eggcessive knows a lot about respiratory infections and treatment.

Hi! So yesterday I brought home 4 new golden comet hens, and they’re in quarantine. Today I noticed this (see photo) what do I do?? It’s only one eye. I also have ducks and geese. I’ve read about what it might be, are the other birds in trouble??

What’s the point of quarantine if I’m going to roll the dice on bringing a chicken disease home and treating it either way?
I see some bubbles in the eye too. Along with a sunken appearance.
These could indicate respiratory disease like Mycoplasma, but without testing, it would be hard to know.
If you wish to test, contact your State Lab or go through an independent lab like Zoologix.

If you quarantined them away from your flock, you could return them or cull - this might limit exposure to your existing flock and hopefully avoid the spread of disease if you've practiced good biosecurity between the newbies and your existing flock.

But, it sounds like you want to treat the hens? If so, then you can try either monitoring them to see if symptoms worsen, then begin treating with an antibiotic like Tylosin.
Keep in mind antibiotics may treat symptoms and the birds will often "get better" but IF you are dealing with something like Mycoplasma, they will be carriers for life and very likely your existing flock may become ill when you introduce them. In turn, all birds would then be considered carriers.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this, it's a tough place to be in for sure.
There's risk when you bring in new birds no matter the source, some less risky than others, but there's risk.

Here's some reading about poultry diseases:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/ps044

I see some bubbles in the eye too. Along with a sunken appearance.
These could indicate respiratory disease like Mycoplasma, but without testing, it would be hard to know.
If you wish to test, contact your State Lab or go through an independent lab like Zoologix.

If you quarantined them away from your flock, you could return them or cull - this might limit exposure to your existing flock and hopefully avoid the spread of disease if you've practiced good biosecurity between the newbies and your existing flock.

But, it sounds like you want to treat the hens? If so, then you can try either monitoring them to see if symptoms worsen, then begin treating with an antibiotic like Tylosin.
Keep in mind antibiotics may treat symptoms and the birds will often "get better" but IF you are dealing with something like Mycoplasma, they will be carriers for life and very likely your existing flock may become ill when you introduce them. In turn, all birds would then be considered carriers.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this, it's a tough place to be in for sure.
There's risk when you bring in new birds no matter the source, some less risky than others, but there's risk.

Here's some reading about poultry diseases:
https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/ps044
Thank you. Yes I would like to treat the new hens, if I can. I’m not one to cull and the drive to give them back is a big one. They’re quarantined in their own structure on one side of my property, while my flock is fenced in on the other side.

Back
Top Bottom