Milky Poo, Help!!

Update: my boyfriend got up earlier than me this morning to let them out so I didn't get a good look at who is pooing what. I let him know the situation. However, there was some runny poo on the poo trays. It looks like it could be 2 of the girls with this problem. There was 3 milky poos out on the concrete today when I went out after breakfast. It's going to be difficult for me to keep track of the girls with milky poo because I can't tell them apart at the time anyway. Should I get leg tags? Also, I noticed a healthy poo from one of the Austros but upon further inspection, I found tiny blue bits of plastic in the poo. Unfortunately, who ever lived on my farm prior must have broke some blue plastic in little pieces because I found it everywhere all over the yard where they free range. Uhhhgggg. They are eating and drinking fine and no one is lethargic. I'm adding ACV to the water as we speak. I'll run to the feed store and grab some Corrid too. Is it pricey?
Anything moldy can cause diarrhea and if they eat enough of it, they can pick up a fungal infection. 

How are they doing today? Just keep an eye on things. Find out who is putting out this diarrhea by knowing who roosts where and check on them first thing in the morning. Keep them away from things that they might be getting into for a few days and see if the poop doesn't return to normal. If this bird or others are still putting out this diarrhea in a couple of days, you might want to get some Corid in their water, just in case she or the others are developing Coccidiosis. You can get Corid at the feed store, or any product with Amprolium in it. 

Keep us posted! 

Corid can be a bit pricey, but you get a lot of it. It is always good to have medications on hand for future use. You never know when birds are going to turn up sick, and you want to have things on hand to treat them as soon as possible.

Generally Coccidisos has them eating and drinking less and less until they stop all together. So they may not have cocci and it could be related to this plastic they are ingesting. BUT....it won't hurt them to dose them with the Corid anyway. It is only a Thiamine blocker and will only kill off the protazoa that causes Cocci.

I would keep them cooped up in the run for a few days and see if by not eating this plastic, that their poop doesn't improve. As long as these bits weren't too big, they should all pass eventually.

ACV or Probiotics are always helpful when they have diarrhea so keep up with either of these. ACV increases appetite and they seem to drink more water too. Both of these should help to flush out these bits of plastic.

Keep us posted! :)

Oh yes, I know it is most definitely worth it, but I was just telling her what I have experienced the price to be.

Thanks everyone! I got a bag of corid at my local feed store for $19.89. I was thinking about buying all the bags on the shelf because as of December 31 2016, farm stores won't be eligible to sell livestock medication, at least in California. Not sure about where y'all live. Thanks again!

I have heard some horror stories about how we won't be able to get lots of antibiotics and such for our poultry soon. Stock up now on things!

That bag of corid should last the rest of your flocks days. It is things like Baytril and Doxycycline, both antibiotics, that may soon become hard to come by!

@beb444 I don't think so. Only from a veterinarian, which will cost 10x more.
1f620.png

What feed store, if you don't mind me asking, do you go to? When I was wanting to buy chicks I could only find a couple feed stores. But, please do not feel pressured to answer this, you can just ignore it, because I get not wanting to give out specific locations on the internet:)

Back
Top Bottom