Millie Fleur chicks

Jennapaige13

In the Brooder
Feb 20, 2024
Do pure Millie chicks have a black dot on their head 100% of the time? I have some from pure eggs that do not appear to have the dark spot. But I also had a few eggs from a silkie hen X Millie rooster, so I’m wondering if I got eggs confused

Do pure Millie chicks have a black dot on their head 100% of the time? I have some from pure eggs that do not appear to have the dark spot. But I also had a few eggs from a silkie hen X Millie rooster, so I’m wondering if I got eggs confused
Based on what pictures I can find of Mille Fleur d'Uccle chicks, I would say the color at hatching can vary quite a lot.

https://www.cacklehatchery.com/product/mille-fleur-d-uccles-bantam/
Cackle Hatchery has a bunch of pictures. One of them shows a big tray full of newly-hatched chicks. I think there are some with no dots on their heads.

https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/bantam_mille_fleur.html
McMurray Hatchery has a video showing several chicks. They are much darker in color, and I can't decide whether they have a dot on their head or not.

Silkies have enough breed-specific traits that you can probably recognize many of the mixed chicks just by checking some particular details like number of toes and kind of comb. Any chicks with extra toes are Silkie-mixes. Mille Fleur d'Uccle chicks will all have single combs, with any other comb type being a Silkie-mix chick. I would also check for crests on the heads, although those may not be obvious until they grow some head feathers. Any chick with a crested head is a Silkie-mix.

As they grow up, I would expect them to have different coloring in their feathers, so you can sort them that way as well. (If you have a Mille Fleur colored Silkie hen, the chicks would all have Mille Fleur coloring. But for any other color or pattern of Silkie hen, I would expect the mixed chicks to grow up with some coloring that is not right for a Mille Fleur.)

If you know how many eggs were from each kind of hen, you will know how many chicks there should be of each type. If you don't know how many eggs there were of each kind, you will probably still be able to pick out most or all of the Silkie-mix chicks.

Back
Top Bottom