Minimal coop and run space

That's all the space I can give them ... They will free range and in the winter I will put clear plastic over the run

That's all the space I can give them ... They will free range and in the winter I will put clear plastic over the run

Then I would seriously consider reducing the number of birds you have.

In order to make things work better in a smaller than ideal coop, you have to make sure you stay on top of cleaning it out. Even a little poop will create ammonia fumes that will build up in a small coop in no time. Poor air quality will lead to illness. You also want to make sure you maximize the amount of roost space that you give them so that everyone can spread out at night if they want to. Make sure the coop is well ventilated. If the birds are packed in there, they are going to need fresh air to breath. It's good that you are giving them a sheltered run during the winter. They will appreciate it and it will help prevent a lot of health and behavior issues for you. How big will your run be?

Since you are planning on free ranging them, you might lose a couple to predators as well. Mother Nature might solve your space problem for you. Do you know how many are cockerels yet? If you can't tell, try posting a couple of pictures. There are lots of members that are pretty good at identifying pullets from cockerels by physical appearance. It depends on the age and breed some, but I'm sure they'd give it a try.

I'm not sure if I have any... I have not seen any signs yet but thus is probably because I got them 3 weeks ago today

For some reason, people tend to give the dimensions needed for chickens in 2 dimensions, length times width. But really space is a three dimensional area. One needs to consider the height of the coop too.

In the cold north, frost bite is a real problem. And new people worry about cold, thinking that is the culprit. They imagine that if their birds are in a smaller space, they will heat it better. And then one considers the conflicting advice of having good ventilation and no drafts. But the cold is NOT the problem, it is the moisture. Dry, well fed birds can withstand easily negative 25 degrees.

When you set up your roosting area in either extreme, cold or hot, a bird needs to be able to be about 12 inches AWAY from the wall, and about 25 inches below the ceiling. When one crowds birds into a smaller area, what they produce is moisture, by breathing and their poop. In a small area with poor ventilation, this moisture collects on the walls and ceilings, and the birds sitting to close to each. Wet birds are cold birds, and very quickly sick birds. Think of 6 people in a car in the winter with no heater on. Within minutes the windows are fogging up. Even if the day is nice in the winter time, the day is short, and birds spend about 14 hours roosted up in the dark. That is a lot of time in a cramped, high moisture, low ventilation place.

Birds with space around them are much healthier birds, birds that are crowded are going to develop horrible habits, and be sick.

You cannot wish this away. I like the shed type house, big enough to nearly stand up in. It gives good space, with proper ventilation, it will keep your birds healthy.

Mrs K

Last edited:
And, even setting aside the many humane and health issues for a moment, having chickens in a really small space is so much more WORK, and so much more unpleasant to work with, than housing them in a larger space!

I've kept varying numbers of chickens of varying ages (and ducks) for over a couple of decades. Having experienced firsthand what happens when things get towards the crowded end of the spectrum, I would never advise ANYONE to try to cram chickens into the "minimal amount of space." Poop accumulates so much more quickly, and is therefore that much harder to manage--you're going to have to clean the coop out daily with only 3 square feet per bird, and it's going to stink to heaven no matter WHAT you do (which also means fumes are damaging their lungs).

By contrast, having around 15 to 20 square feet per chicken, well-covered with good quality, dry deep litter, means that the manure will pretty much manage itself. And you'll have almost no smell, and should rarely if ever have to muck it out much. The more space, the better...

To me, it's a no brainer. You'll save yourself years of disgusting, back-breaking labor and exposure to poultry dander, and improve the health and well-being of your flock as well. Even if it means you have to dedicate a little more space and building materials--or just make do with fewer chickens if space and/or materials is limited.

It's worth it BY FAR not try to push the limits of carrying capacity. I don't know how to make it any clearer... :)

Back
Top Bottom