minimal feeding requirements

Genetics isn't much of a factor considering that all the chicks I raise have the same parentage. The difference has not been genetics, but heat source. All other aspects have been identical. Brooder is the same, location is the same, parentage is the same, feed is the same.
Even with the same parents... my sibling don't have the same body weight, height, or hair color... their are still variations that occur because that's the nature of it.
hu.gif

I respect what you are saying is YOUR personal experience though.
smile.png

my first year of having layers, RSL, BR, BSL, i fed them cracked corn and layer feed. the corn was about $9.00 and the layer feed $15.00. this year i stopped buying corn and layer feed and instead for just $11.00 twice a month (i have 17 layers 6 roosters and 2 chicks currently) i buy scratch grains and i get anywhere from 4 to 8 eggs a day. which isn't good for selling, but we get more than what we can eat. they also get table scraps when we have them. egg production increased when i extended my pen as well.

my first year of having layers, RSL, BR, BSL, i fed them cracked corn and layer feed. the corn was about $9.00 and the layer feed $15.00. this year i stopped buying corn and layer feed and instead for just $11.00 twice a month (i have 17 layers 6 roosters and 2 chicks currently) i buy scratch grains and i get anywhere from 4 to 8 eggs a day. which isn't good for selling, but we get more than what we can eat. they also get table scraps when we have them. egg production increased when i extended my pen as well.
Ridiculously poor production rate for that many. Those breeds are more than capable of producing 6 to 7 eggs a week, each. Such a poor laying rate is indicative of insufficient diet. And scratch grains are more calories than nutrition, and leads to fat/overweight birds. Really not good for growing chicks either.

Ridiculously poor production rate for that many. Those breeds are more than capable of producing 6 to 7 eggs a week, each. Such a poor laying rate is indicative of insufficient diet. And scratch grains are more calories than nutrition, and leads to fat/overweight birds. Really not good for growing chicks either.
i don't have the RSL any more. i have a BR 2 BSL a Cochin raising chicks(she's actually my best layer) a sebright and the rest are mixes. some are easter eggers.

There's a scientific reason not to feed your layers corn during the laying season . there's too much fat in corn . it builds up underneath the skin and is not stretchable . the skin needs to stretch to accommodate the swelling reproductive organs. if the layer of fat is there from the corn and the skin can't stretch, then the hen will lay fewer eggs.
Best,
Karen

There's a scientific reason not to feed your layers corn during the laying season . there's too much fat in corn . it builds up underneath the skin and is not stretchable . the skin needs to stretch to accommodate the swelling reproductive organs. if the layer of fat is there from the corn and the skin can't stretch, then the hen will lay fewer eggs.
Best,
Karen
Can also result in internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, obesity related heart failure and death.

Back
Top Bottom