Mink problem

wolt45

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 25, 2012
Deep East Texas
Need help! Mink has hit me two nights in a row,killing one setting hen the first night and came back for the rooster the next.The rooster is alive with bite marks on backside if head.I have other birds in a large adjacent pen.Steel traps are not an option because of my many small dogs.Any ideas on how I can get rid of these awfull creatures?

One way to scare him off is an outdoor radio. Set it on or in the coop, and turn it up only a little, so it doesn't bother you in your house. I recommend putting it in the coop. The mink will here it, and think you are waiting to strike! They really don't like people. :) I really hope it works for you! Sorry about your chickens!!
thumbsup.gif

A small body trap (conibear) will kill your dogs if they get caught in it. But, they are very effective on minks. Can't you keep the dogs away from your traps for just a couple of nights? Do your dogs have access to the "roost" area? Set your traps in the roost or run.

There are "offset" foot-hold traps that will probably not cause much harm to a small dog.

If you know the path he is taking, a snare will catch him. Especially a spring snare. They catch dogs also.

Another option is shooting the mink.

I don't know if a mink is big enough to set-off a motion detector. I used one of those motion detector security outdoor lights. I screwed in this receptacle thing, that has light-bulb threads, with a plug-in receptacle. Then, I ran an extension cord from that receptacle, into the house with a buzzer plugged in. When the coon (in this case) set off the motion sensor, the buzzer in the house went off. I went outside and shot the coon. Worked like charm.

Wouldn't bet any of my chickens on a radio keeping a determined mink away. The mink already has had several meals there and will return.

Waite for the little guy and shoot it. Dogs should also be of service with a mink. Make certain it is a mink.

If it is coming as night, can you make it so mink can not get up to roosting birds. This has saved me a couple times at least. Mink present but birds are out of reach and dog gets mink eventually before mink causes loss.

Last edited:
Get a small (and small mesh) live trap place it with the trip pan over an open can of sardines in water or soy bean oil.

If it turns out you actually have a weasel then the best bait is a good bloody chicken (or other) liver under the trip pan.

Dispatch it you likely can not legally transport either to relocate and in most states you can not legally relocate any wild animal.

Good luck.

I live on Mink Road and have Mink Run Creek run through my backyard, so needless to say we have lots of Minks. They will not stop coming until all of your birds are dead. They spend most of the day sunbathing on the bridge and don't seem to mind noise from equipment of people. Hard to catch, so preventing them from entering your coop is the best solution. They can fit through an extremely small hole and climb well. Any opening larger than a quarter needs to be closed up. I have heard people burring a bottle and putting bait in it that they will climb in and not be able to get out. Most of the chicken owners around here just try to keep their coops and runs extremely secure. Good Luck and please pass on any success stories on trapping, catching, or killing the culprit.

I have a friend in NH who's Barn cat-an 8 # female Maine Coon Cat-catches and kills the mink around her farm...I have two Maine Coons who catch creatures about half their
size quite regularly...perhaps a Barn Cat or two would help...

I caught my little demon with a live trap. It took quite a bit of searching to find his small entry point but I finally did. I put the trap in front of the small opening with a couple chicken carcasses laying against the trap on the outside. I then covered the sides of the trap and carcasses with a small tarp while leaving the end uncovered. This is what I found in the trap the next morning.

I have not lost any birds since I last posted.I thought I had a mink. I'm told by other chicken folks in my community that minks will keep coming back untill they have killed all. The only thing I have done is turn my lights back on at night.In the short days of winter I usually leave lights on to promote better laying. So far with the lights on I have'nt lost aymore birds! Keeping a close eye on my birds though.

Back
Top Bottom