mink vs. ermine

Stoney22

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 7, 2011
new hampshire
Ok so I always thought an ermine was just the name for the winter coloration of a mink. After goggling it I could finds no definitive answer as to what is what other than that they are similar...so if someone can post some info that'd be great or better yet if you are a trapper could you answer whether or not they are two separate animals and please provide with some background knowledge of each?

Because alot of times I've seen what I thought was a mink...but based on what youbsaid it is an ermine or weasel, a white animal running across ice and slipping under the water thru hole in the ice. So is what I was seeing a mink in winter coloration or will weasels do this too? It also had a black tuft of hair on the tip or the tail? (Mink or weasel?)

I guess my question should be what are the differences between minks and weasels then, I know there similar but what distinguishes between the too?

Quote:
Mink can vary in color from brown to black and even, though rarely outside of mink farms, silver. They do not, like weasels (aka shoats, ermine) chance color with the season. Also adult mink are larger than weasels by about twice.

Mustelidae (weasel family) 101.

Mink, weasels, ferrets, woverines, fisher and marten are all members. Common trade names encountered in the fur industry are: Ermine (winter white weasel), Sable (fisher), Sable Nordique (pine marten) and Minque nordique (wild brown mink). Weasels are the only one that change color.

In order of size, smallest to largest are weasel, ferret, mink, marten, fisher, wolverine. Mink and fisher are a deep brown "sable" color all year with some variation occasionally seen, especially near commercial mink farms due to interbreeding with ranch mink. Weasels are more of a fawn color in warmer months. Winter they are white with a black tip on tail. Pine marten are a lighter brown than fisher and mink and have big tufty ears. In all mustelids, Males are significantly larger than females.

They are all solitary hunters. They are only found together when rearing young or during brief mating season. Males mate and run, they do not help raise young. They are all territorial and will mark territory with their musk glands and defend it vigorously. Males range much farther than females.

Last edited:
Ermine is also called a "least weasel" as they are the smallest weasel. In Maine I had one lived in my shop, sure kept mice in control! Bold little bugger too, came up to me and stood up, put his paws on my pants leg and looked up then took off.
smile.png

Stoney22,

Have all your questions been answered.

There are three kinds of weasel in the US and some of us are lucky enough to have all three in their area.

You really don't want to have to deal with any of them.

Back
Top Bottom