MINKS!!! Help on constructing a predator safe coop

Ellisa

Songster
6 Years
May 6, 2013
I will be moving to a neighborhood that has a mink farm about half a block away from me.

I've been reading they are mean vicious and can get through 1 1/2 inch diameter.

Those who have experience with these animals, I need your advice on the best way to protect my girls.

I want to prevent any heartache and slaughter.

*Please tell me what you (or someone you know) has done to protect your gals.
*Pictures would be amazing, if you are able.
*Any advice would help

Any help would be helpful and very appreciated!!! I want to thank you in advance for any help! Thanks!!!!

I would say your birds are already protected by 1"x1/2" wire. Mink farms aren't like cattle ranches. They keep them in cages. There might be an occasional escapee, but they would probably hang around waiting for feeding time. Living near a mink farm doesn't put you at any heightened risk, you probably have just as much risk from coons and possums and possibly wild mink, if there are any creeks around. Following standard chicken housing practices is always recommended, as there are predators everywhere.

Quote:
I do plan to visit and talk to the mink farm about the precautions I should take as well. I wanted all the advice I can get so I can prevent any problems with any predators. I know with mink, they are viscous, carnivorous and kill for fun. Others predators are just hungry. So coming on here helped me know what to use, where to use it and how to avoid any issues. I just want to be smart and safe to avoid any issues. I get don't want to be the cause of any harm to my girls, if it was something I could have done my best to prevent.

The idea that minks are alone in "killing for fun" is not accurate. One of the biggest "fun killers" out there is the domestic dog. Foxes will kill a bunch at one time and bury them. Sometimes they leave a few. From the mess that coons leave, it sure looks like they had fun. A lot of people get caught up on mesh size. Gauge of the wire is what is important. Anything less than 16 gauge most stuff can chew through like it wasn't there.

Back
Top Bottom