Minnesota!

No I haven't, my brother who lives in Minnetonka just sent me the link yesterday and I already had plans for this weekend. Looks really cool though!
Have you been to the Eggplant store? That looks pretty cool too. I don't spend much time in the Cities so I hadn't heard of any of this before.

Egg|Plant is where I got my chickens from. They are great and really patient with my endless, clueless questions!

The Egg|Plant store looks pretty neat! sn0wwhite have you taken any of the classes there?

Crow Wing County land use ordinance related to animals in residential districts-public hearing!
September 19th @ 5:00, courthouse in Brainerd!!!!!!
This concerns keeping chickens!!!!!!!!!! Everybody in the area should be there!!!!!!!!
D.gif

Who else is going to be there??

You know Erlibird...maybe not all chicken keepers in Crow Wing know about this meeting. I'd maybe do some flyers at the gas stations or grocery stores or feed stores (Does Fleet Farm allow flyers)--maybe they'll let you post a nice laminated one back by the feed... Get some folks there that way.

You know Erlibird...maybe not all chicken keepers in Crow Wing know about this meeting. I'd maybe do some flyers at the gas stations or grocery stores or feed stores (Does Fleet Farm allow flyers)--maybe they'll let you post a nice laminated one back by the feed... Get some folks there that way.

That is a good idea that could possibly expand their business too!

Also, put a message on Craigslist, I am sure some chicken lovin' people go on there just to browse.

Yes, I was going to stop at the food coop and a couple other places.

We have the run done and most of the coop. Just need inside walls and floor. Should we insulate? We used pallets for the frame it is 8 x 12. Also, any suggestions what to use for inside walls? Thanks!

We have the run done and most of the coop. Just need inside walls and floor. Should we insulate? We used pallets for the frame it is 8 x 12. Also, any suggestions what to use for inside walls? Thanks!

What you do in the winter is a big debate here on BYC even among some the most experienced. I think it all comes down to and depends on the birds you are getting, males/females, breed etc. will determine your need for insulation and/or heat. Personally I insulated my roof only last year to hold down any heat made by the birds. Ventilation is usually more important than insulation for any winter hardy bird. You'll need to research out your answer dependent on the type of flock you have. keep in mind a bird needs to be acclimated to the cold. They should not go from warm to cold-- cold to warm throughout the winter. So picking a breed (comb type) that is winter hardy is your best bet and I would say no heat source unless completely nasty cold. For me the heat lamp was brought out at the -15 to -20 mark. Still plenty cool in that coop to keep them acclimated!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom