Minnesota!

@athalia17 , your Jubilee Orpingtons are beautiful. Did you hatch them yourself? I'm tempted to get some eggs off of ebay for different breeds I haven't seen around these parts much. Makes me nervous because you hear so much negative talk about ebay eggs, but if I could find someone reputable and honest, I don't think I'd be so hesitant. We'll see....

I lost a hen to a respiratory illness within 24 hours of showing symptoms last night. I should be getting some Tylan today in case I see any symptoms in other birds. I also got some VetRx which I might just apply to the entire flock anyways. I also put some vitamins and electrolytes in their water and will continue doing that for a few weeks. My question is, what does everyone do when respiratory illness pops into your flock? Is it more common in MN?

Wait athalia did u have ads on craigslist for you lemon Cuckoo orp roo?? If so I saw that ad.

@athalia17
, your Jubilee Orpingtons are beautiful. Did you hatch them yourself? I'm tempted to get some eggs off of ebay for different breeds I haven't seen around these parts much. Makes me nervous because you hear so much negative talk about ebay eggs, but if I could find someone reputable and honest, I don't think I'd be so hesitant. We'll see....

I lost a hen to a respiratory illness within 24 hours of showing symptoms last night. I should be getting some Tylan today in case I see any symptoms in other birds. I also got some VetRx which I might just apply to the entire flock anyways. I also put some vitamins and electrolytes in their water and will continue doing that for a few weeks. My question is, what does everyone do when respiratory illness pops into your flock? Is it more common in MN?

I did hatch them myself. I ordered them as hatching eggs from a breeder who was npip certified, etc. If you're looking for a breeding pair instead, pm me! I'm looking to switch to just bbs.

I did hatch them myself. I ordered them as hatching eggs from a breeder who was npip certified, etc. If you're looking for a breeding pair instead, pm me! I'm looking to switch to just bbs.

I wish I could, but I'm at a happy level of birds right now. Well, what I mean by that is DH would say NO MORE CHICKENS! I'm always happy to add more. Lol! I also need to figure out if what happened to my girl is contagious. Because of that, I won't consider any other birds for awhile.

I wish I could, but I'm at a happy level of birds right now. Well, what I mean by that is DH would say NO MORE CHICKENS! I'm always happy to add more. Lol! I also need to figure out if what happened to my girl is contagious. Because of that, I won't consider any other birds for awhile.

No worries, good points. My husband just shakes his head now. He's a big softy though. He goes out there sometimes to lock up the coop and doesn't come back for like 10 minutes. I've heard him out there talking to them, and he holds them. Too funny. I guess that's what happens when you have chickens instead of kids (not our choice, but we are looking into foster to adopt now).

No worries, good points. My husband just shakes his head now. He's a big softy though. He goes out there sometimes to lock up the coop and doesn't come back for like 10 minutes. I've heard him out there talking to them, and he holds them. Too funny. I guess that's what happens when you have chickens instead of kids (not our choice, but we are looking into foster to adopt now).

My hubby does the same thing! He'll even sit outside and watch them free range. He also loves changing the coop around. At the same time, he'll complain about them to everyone :) I know the truth....

Fostering/adopting is a lengthy, but rewarding process. Good luck to you and your hubby!

When I told my parents I had 27 eggs in the incubator, first their shook their heads then smiled and said, why not?

Need to build a new brooder though. I promised my mother it would be more aesthetic than the last one.

My hubby does the same thing! He'll even sit outside and watch them free range. He also loves changing the coop around. At the same time, he'll complain about them to everyone :) I know the truth....

Fostering/adopting is a lengthy, but rewarding process. Good luck to you and your hubby!

My former spouse jokes that I was pregnant for three years before we received our baby girl... That was almost ten years ago.

oh  no........chick fever is starting!

I have never used an incubator, but the idea of mimicing nature sounds good to me!  

One of my Australorps is broody and has turned into a very unkind creature. I've decided to let her brood. Mostly because she's causing injuries and my daughter won't go near her when she is collecting eggs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom