Minnesota!

Still impressed with the flat radiant heater hanging on the coop wall. -25 to -30 F outside the coop. Keeping the coop at 0 F on the inside. But what I really want to do is to be able to shut it off with some milder outdoor temps.

I have been looking around at flat radiant heaters. Can the one you have be hung horizontally ?

What brand is it and where did you get it, If you don't mind me asking.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE !!!!

Minnie,
I too have a hard time getting enough for a batch. Plus the fertility has taken a dive with this weather. I just did my second test batch and one BA hatched out of 15 eggs. I am hoping as time goes this GS will get better.

One of my snowy call ducks layed an egg yesterday! What the heck? Judging by the iced up poop balls stuck to my males today, it is definitely not fertile. I had to bring those 2 boys into the house today to bathe.

I have been looking around at flat radiant heaters. Can the one you have be hung horizontally ?

What brand is it and where did you get it, If you don't mind me asking.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE !!!!

Don't laugh but this is the CoZy Legs Brand that Target sells for $39.99.Local store didn't have it so I did Target.com for a web order. I did some shopping on these and this is the lowest end I could find on the price spectrum. That being said I followed up with reviews AFTER the purchase...LOL...unfortunately this is typical of me. And there were some reviews that said they can crack. So far it looks sturdy to me. The back part (that is against the wall) stays cool and the front at 150 watts can be touched with your bare hand so it is mildly warm/hot. It's not throwing out a ton of heat...but enough to bring the coop up about 20-25 degrees above outside air temp. I'm good with that! It comes with Velcro with sticky adhesive as it's mounting mechanism to flat surfaces. That works like peanut butter in these cold temps...worthless. So what I did if you can see in the latter picture is mount it with longer torque screws to set it on. Then a screw at the top closer to the unit so the head of the screw would keep the top portion held to the flat surface. And a screw on either side so it doesn't slide side to side. In the spring I'll just reverse the screws and take it out and store it away. I'm not sure if putting it up horizontally would work...I suppose so with a similar method or maybe using wires to sort of basket it I suppose. Are you thinking the ceiling then for a horizontal set up?

Don't laugh but this is the CoZy Legs Brand that Target sells for $39.99.Local store didn't have it so I did Target.com for a web order. I did some shopping on these and this is the lowest end I could find on the price spectrum. That being said I followed up with reviews AFTER the purchase...LOL...unfortunately this is typical of me. And there were some reviews that said they can crack. So far it looks sturdy to me. The back part (that is against the wall) stays cool and the front at 150 watts can be touched with your bare hand so it is mildly warm/hot. It's not throwing out a ton of heat...but enough to bring the coop up about 20-25 degrees above outside air temp. I'm good with that! It comes with Velcro with sticky adhesive as it's mounting mechanism to flat surfaces. That works like peanut butter in these cold temps...worthless. So what I did if you can see in the latter picture is mount it with longer torque screws to set it on. Then a screw at the top closer to the unit so the head of the screw would keep the top portion held to the flat surface. And a screw on either side so it doesn't slide side to side. In the spring I'll just reverse the screws and take it out and store it away. I'm not sure if putting it up horizontally would work...I suppose so with a similar method or maybe using wires to sort of basket it I suppose. Are you thinking the ceiling then for a horizontal set up?
I was thinking of suspending the panel over where the chickens roost. I know some of the panels have a tip over safety switch to prevent accidents. Once the cold weather has gone i would like to be able to use it like Brinsea Eco glow for chicks in a brooder.

I was researching a lil more and saw i different thread you posted photos of the panel. You have a very nice cozy lil coop.I can see how you get a 20 degree bump from outside temp. I can't do that in mine, not with a hoop coop. I wish i would have built something of a more permanent coop like yours. Maybe in the spring and just use the hoop coop as a grow out.

Thank you for the pics and the info.

Thanks for the compliments Nikon. It's far from perfect...but I think the birds are happy in there for the most part. So in that, partially insulated coop the difference with the heater is a bump up of 25 degrees for sure. This morning we had -37 F and when I opened the coop door it was -10 F inside the coop at roost level. I'm not sure if it would bring your hoop coop up that much....but it would give the birds something if it was directly above them you would think. There's gotta be some ways to hang that with some chicken wire cradling it or something. Also...just to let you know there is a 250 watt in these as well...the price goes up to $75 on those from what I could see. But with the higher heat...too there is higher risk perhaps.

Anyhow. Stay warm out there folks. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!

Minnie,
I too have a hard time getting enough for a batch. Plus the fertility has taken a dive with this weather. I just did my second test batch and one BA hatched out of 15 eggs. I am hoping as time goes this GS will get better.
The older your roo, the lower their fertility is likely to be in the kind of weather. Last year I had to pull in some younger boys to do the early breeding because the older roosters just weren't fertile.
Good luck, maybe the sunshine today is going to help. It is still -2 but I see some birds up on top of things enjoying the sun.

Don't laugh but this is the CoZy Legs Brand that Target sells for $39.99.
I just ordered mine. Thanks for the information and idea!

Since heat rises I'm thinking about putting mine below the roost... but, wait, the poop board would be above it. I guess I'll just put it on the side wall.

I just ordered mine. Thanks for the information and idea!

Since heat rises I'm thinking about putting mine below the roost... but, wait, the poop board would be above it. I guess I'll just put it on the side wall.
I wanted to put mine lower too with that same reasoning-- that warm air rises-- and it would be more efficiently warming the coop...but with windows on all 3 sides and a door on the 4th and pooping going on everywhere else...this was my best option. I'll be interested to see how it works for your coop Sn0w...because you don't have any insulation in yours right? Do you have any insulation in your roof at all? I bet it will do a good job for the space size though....It will fun to hear back how it all turns out for you.

Back
Top Bottom