Minnesota!

My CX pullets were hatched on July 30th. They never did lay eggs. I have read those hatched in late fall may never lay eggs. I am not sure if July 30 is considered too late for them or not. The 2 CX's that Jessica and MountainMom have seem to lay an egg every other day. (from the Cornish Cross thread)

I am going to try and raise a couple this year and see how they do. They are sweet birds. Bert seems fine, but that could be just luck of the draw. The pullets have not seemed as active as Bert for a couple months.

I am going to go to Ramsey and see if they have any CX's in there yet and maybe raise them in the basement for a while, if I can convince the war department this is a good idea. She may think otherwise.
If I got some soon, I might get eggs by September. I am also going to get a better set up for them for over the winter. I may have overfed them once the snow hit.

I am thinking Mrs Bert Died of a broken heart or harmed herself in an over reaction to Bert playing the field. I caught a White Rock and Bert Huddled together in the corner of Bert's coop today. An EE'er came running out squawking about something just before I saw the two of them. The White Rock had a very guilty look on her face.

I have seen the white rock and an EE'er hanging with Bert a lot the last few weeks. I only have one white rock so I know it is the same girl. I Wish I knew which egg she lays incase they actually hooked up. A Bert Jr would be so cool.

This is going to sound stupid again, but do the hens have any say in which rooster they mate with? Is it possible Bert is doing his job with those two?
You are killing me, Ralphie!!! You need someone to illustrate your little stories. You could sell them to poultry mags! You are funny.

Agree and x2 Minnie on Ralphie's chicken Days of our Lives.

Ralphie. I've seen a submissive roo sneak in on the action and the hen's accept him. So it can happen. usually the alpha roo gets mad and mates then too. Competitors they are if they get along or not.

Agree and x2 Minnie on Ralphie's chicken Days of our Lives.

Ralphie. I've seen a submissive roo sneak in on the action and the hen's accept him. So it can happen. usually the alpha roo gets mad and mates then too. Competitors they are if they get along or not.

Minnie and Bogtown Chick:
Thanks for the compliment on my writings, but alas I feel I am not good enough to ever have anything published. I just enjoy jotting down little tales with minor embellishments.

I have seen my lessor Roo's attempt to mate and have a higher roo pull him off the hen. I have not seen the higher roo then mate the hen, I find that interesting.

I am going to try and integrate Bert into the main flock. The chickens already know him and I think he is in the pecking order, however, I am not sure he will be tolerated inside the main coop. I know when Brutus, the greatest rooster to ever live" was alive he would sit outside the coop every night and perform " coop monitor" duties.

Any chicken that tried to get into his coop that did not belong there he would run off. Even though the two coops of chickens roamed the same ground and socialized during the day, come night Brutus did not allow them in. Of Course, Brutus being so superior to ordinary roosters would also round up his chickens and make them come into his coop. He stood outside the coop cucking and calling until everyone came in.

He seldom ever took a roost spot. He would sit right at the doorway facing out, until I closed it. In the morning when I opened it he was right near the door again. Why is it all the good die young? I assume that is the reason I am still alive though..

I am enjoying the extra daylight we are getting now, but.......
1970529_10152234398244694_1088839729_n.jpg

I am down to 13 eggs today from my 23-26 I normally get. If this keeps up as long as they say I may need to buy eggs! I will be lucky to get 8 tomorrow.

It is so cold the coconuts are falling off the trees in my yard. The dog got hit by one and one just missed me.

As close as those coconuts are hitting, I am going to buy 2 lottery tickets this week. But then it is only for 40 million, hardy worth the bother of going out for a ticket in this cold.

I NEED EVERYONE'S ADVICE. I AM SOOOOO CONFUSED. Is this little ducky a Muscovy. . . or a wood duck? HHEELLPPP. You can see how big it is . . . because those hands are medium sized. Someone told me it was a muscovy, then someone told me it was a wood duck! Which one is it?
Looks like a wood duck. If it doesn't "find it's family" right away, you should catch it and bring it to a wildlife rehab or experienced duck personm

Back
Top Bottom