Minnesota!

Stromberg's does have some of their chicks drop-shipped from breeders, so they might not even have some of them on sight.  The other issue though is the biosecurity end of it, and I can't blame them for not allowing pick-ups.  I have often thought about not allowing customers on my property for that reason, however, I do like to show people the conditions their birds are coming from.  I don't take anyone into the buildings or the pasture, but the flock and coops and pens are visible enough that one can get a good feel for how I run things.  It would devastate me to have someone track in a disease from elsewhere, so I can only imagine if that happened to one of the large facilities like McMurray or Strombergs or Welp.

strombergs from what I heard doesn't hatch most at their facility just like welp. They contract with larger hatcheries to get what they want. My welp order came directly from privett in nm.

That is what I meant by drop shipping. That is not uncommon for some of the hatcheries to do that, they have contracted breeders for different breeds that provide to them. I believe McMurray has all their own. I do know that the CRX I have gotten (and love for their consistency of size and growth!) from Stromberg's come from Privett and the BBWhite turkeys ship from Lubbock, Texas.

That's true Minnie. I didn't think of bio security at the time as a newbie. Just about poor chicks tumbling about in a box. I even have thought of visitors here at my place and whst may get tracked in. I've got myself down to a pair of winter boots and a pair of sloggers that don't go any where else but to the coop.

How do you chase a chicken out of a shed when:

A) she is not afraid of you so will not run
B) knows you want her so stays just out of reach
C) crawls under short things I can never get under ??????

I have been outside with the birds all day, building a small coop for the cream bars I get tomorrow... Thanks to Triplell!

I cut a covered run I have in half so they have plenty of room. I even made two cute little nests for them so they do not have to share. I still need to get a light and another heated waterer, but I am ready. I could have been done an hour earlier, but I had help from Ethel and a bunch of chickens......The Toms were too busy neck wrestling to help me. It was like working with little kids around, you have to make sure you don't trip over them.

I sure understand the trouble this weather must cause the large hatcheries. I just decide to no incubate for a week or two longer, they need to pan years ahead not a day like me.

How do you chase a chicken out of a shed when:

A) she is not afraid of you so will not run
B) knows you want her so stays just out of reach
C) crawls under short things I can never get under ??????

I have been outside with the birds all day, building a small coop for the cream bars I get tomorrow... Thanks to Triplell!

I cut a covered run I have in half so they have plenty of room. I even made two cute little nests for them so they do not have to share. I still need to get a light and another heated waterer, but I am ready. I could have been done an hour earlier, but I had help from Ethel and a bunch of chickens......The Toms were too busy neck wrestling to help me. It was like working with little kids around, you have to make sure you don't trip over them.

I sure understand the trouble this weather must cause the large hatcheries. I just decide to no incubate for a week or two longer, they need to pan years ahead not a day like me.
To reach those pain in the butt birds who don't want to be caught and refuse to be chased, I have a chicken hook. It is about 3' long and had a leg hook on the end.

I must laugh, you made two nests for those Legbars, but I bet they all pile in one, as those featherbrains usually do. I am not impressed with my birds who have nests and still insist on laying in the corner under the roost.

My grand parents used to have one of those chicken hooks Ralphie. Mom said it worked slick.

Aha Ralphie your spending your future lottery money on the cream legbars! I hope you didn't build that coop under the palm trees over there! Triplell takes good care of her birds. I think you got a deal there. Enjoy!

This is a special "picture" book edition of "as the Chicken Turns" "[COLOR=FF0000]MMMMM Look at these great seeds someone left here for me"...... I should eat just a few more before I go out hunting for women"....[/COLOR] [COLOR=FF0000]"Where is that silly dog, she promised to be my wing man tonight. Look the sun is setting and I have no roost mate"[/COLOR] [COLOR=FF0000]"About time you got here, Pearl. Look at the sun, it is nearly setting and you promised to be here an hour ago!....I have my eye on a long legged long necked lavender beauty I saw earlier... She is a looker..... You know, Pearl, You might have a better time finding a guy friend if you stopped eating poop. Guys are turned off by Poop Breath"[/COLOR] [COLOR=FF0000]"Geez, Pearl, no tongue! we are not that close of friends and I do not want to smell like you when I see that new hot looking gal..... Now leave me alone and play it cool here she comes"[/COLOR] [COLOR=FF0000]"Hey there good lookin!... My Name is Bert, And you're right I am the coolest bird in the yard, But you sure a long legged beauty yourself.. I love your waddles, a guy could get lost staring at them a night... You wanna come back to my place to hang out on the roost a while? Yea I got my own pad"[/COLOR] [COLOR=FF0000]" oh yea, it is a nice place the neighborhood is a little rough so stay close to me. I got a bargain on it."[/COLOR] [COLOR=FF0000]It's not far, you can see it now, Its the two tone black and white single story flat. Hurry up, we don't want to be caught out here after dark"[/COLOR] [COLOR=FF0000]" That's it stay nice and close I'll protect you. Did I mention my roosts were nice and low, no worrying about falling off in your sleep"[/COLOR] [COLOR=FF0000] [/COLOR] [COLOR=FF0000]" what do you mean this looks like a redneck meth kings home?.... You mean you're not coming in? Women, who can understand them! Go sit on a fence somewhere, You will be sorry you missed this chance........ All the cute ones have such high and mighty attitudes![/COLOR]
:lau :thumbsup

I just saw that on YouTube. He used a bent coat hanger.
Mine is one I bought from a poultry supply place. It is a very heavy gauge wire so it doesn't really flex or bend like a clothes hanger would. It is good for chickens and turkeys, but you don't want to use it on waterfowl because their legs and hips are different and you can injure them easily grabbing by their legs. You grab their necks instead, but this would have to be adjusted to fit around those ;)

Back
Top Bottom