Minnesota!

We just lost one turkey poult and now the BR cockerel. Everyone looks and acts alright . . . until they don't. Researching respiratory illness is on my To Do list. Unfortunately no time to do it now. When it rains it pours. We've also got a wasp problem in the area where we keep the new chicks and I'm trying to figure out how to kill the dang wasps without killing the cute babies. Too many things to do.
I'd use vet RX, rub it over there eyes and some on their beak. I also put a spot on their feathers between their shoulder blades if it is winter and they stick there heads back there when they sleep.
Get them on some probiotics to build up their immune health, i get the kind you put in their water, I get it from Tractor supply, I saw yesterday that fleet farm also now carries it.

Just did a search on the forums, it said this for respiratory illness

Last edited:

Bert has lost his ongoing fight with bumble foot.
He lived only 11 months. I found him lying peacefully in the middle school pen.
I do not think the middle schoolers are responsible for his death.

He was a good rooster. Had he not contracted Bumblefoot who knows what might have been.
I know my wife and I will miss him.

It is a very hot humid day here today. I assume that was too much for him. Even in the shade it would be hard on him. Last night I noticed he was "panting" which worried me.

The nice thing about Bert is he proved the detractors wrong, He lived long enough to breed and has many offspring. He was a normal 20 pound chicken.

There will be no autopsy as the damage due to infection in his feet and legs was evident. He even had some spreading into his thigh.

I wish he had made it a year. Maybe the next ones will.

I even included his baby picture. I know many of you will be glad to not hear about Bert again. I can't say I will mourn him, he was a farm animal, but I will miss him.

Oh no, Bert! I loved hearing about Bert's wonderful escapades. He did prove many people wrong, he lived a very long life for a CX and you gave him a wonderful home. He was lovely and will be missed by us all i'm sure.

So very sorry for your loss of wonderful Bert.

I think this humid weather is not doing our birds any good. We have northern birds!

Sorry about the losses. They ( insert any popular word for bad thing here).

I feed layer feed to my adults, but I know they sneak grower when they can, I try to keep them from eating it, but fail miserably at it. I eat a ton of eggs from the grower fed birds and am still alive, I think someone told you a "BYC wives tail" Rhett. I would think the government would come down hard on someone selling a fed that if eaten by a hen makes eggs poisonous to people. They regulate everything else how would that slip by?

I have a quick question what brand of wood shavings do u all use?? We r going to go pick some up today and quit using smelly and hard to clean straw.

I have a quick question what brand of wood shavings do u all use?? We r going to go pick some up today and quit using smelly and hard to clean straw.
I can't recall the name, but I get mine at tractor supply, pine shaving flakes, I like that they are bigger flakes.

Oh, just found them online: Pine shavings

Make sure what you buy says pine. Cedar and other woods can cause respiratory issues.

I took some pictures to share with y'all. Hope you don't mind.

The newest additions! We have buff polish, blr wyandottes, EEs, and the rest are rocks. White, buff, barred and silver penciled rocks.
Our Freebie was this Blue Cochin.

Here are the 1 year old Khaki and Rouen ducks. Don't mind the drakes molting.

Here is a 2 month old hatchling from the adult ducks. Pretty sure its a hen. I believe her mix is Khaki male over Rouen. My favorite out of the 12 that hatched.

These are DD birthday present. 2 month old Pekins.

Back
Top Bottom