Minnesota!

I never find one in my price range.

If you have access to wood, might I suggest an outside boiler wood stove?

We had at our last home in Minnesota, It was fantastic.  I filled it once a day and it heated the whole house for 24-36 hours,  It really would hold heat for 2 days (warm not hot). When we went on vacation a very small amount of heat from the back up furnace went to keep the water from freezing.

The mess was outside no smoke in the house, It was great.   I have thought about the splitters for my bobcat,  but have decided against that as I want to be able to carry the wood to the splitter,  I only burn wood at the cabin right now so I really need you to get a tow behind for us.

Hopefully I will get wood into the work shed in the next year or two.

Have you seen those splitters with the fly wheel that " throw" the axe head/plunger?  They have one at Runnings in Monticello.  If you want, bring your check book and I will show you where Runnings is.

I heard that those wood boilers will no longer be sold after the end of 2015 due to EPA regulations. I can definitely see the draw though. I've also considered the kind that hooks up the the heat vents and ponies up to the furnace. I could put a wood chute to the basement.

I grew up with a fireplace in our house so despite those options the idea of having a stove in the living room where I can watch it burn and crackle sounds way more tempting despite the other downfalls

My Dad just bought one for $900 this late summer. I think he got it at L & M. He's got a semi of oak logs he split with the neighbor up there. And has been feeling his back so he just went ahead and did it and he loves it. He turns 70 tomorrow.

I suppose he should have a log splitter.

A person can rent them can't they? IDK...

My Dad just bought one for $900 this late summer. I think he got it at L & M.  He's got a semi of oak logs he split with the neighbor up there.  And has been feeling his back so he just went ahead and did it and he loves it.  He turns 70 tomorrow. 

I suppose he should have a log splitter.

A person can rent them can't they?  IDK...

Yes but at $70 a day it won't be many days and I just as well have bought one anyways.

Definitely will be worth the money when I find the right one. Menards has one that looks good. 22 tons and goes vertical. Plus I have a ton of rebate money. Might wait for the next 11% sale and pull the trigger

Greetings!

A few years back, we built two compost bins using pallets and the bins are back in the chicken yard. For whatever reason, Ethel, our RIR, decided yesterday to start laying in the compost bin rather than in the coop like the other 9 girls! Too make matters worse, she lays in the corner that I can't easily get to so I have to climb the pallet and reach.

Pretty sure I know the answer but is there an easy way to break her of laying in this location? It's weird because she just started this yesterday. I guess I don't really have an issue with her laying there but it's just annoying.

She is our 'odd girl' in that she doesn't squat and she is in no way afraid of humans. She's also the only one who pecks at my legs when I'm in shorts.

i am whipped... my down trees are all cut up and i have started splitting by hand. I need to get a log splitter. I will be splitting from now to kingdom come if i dont.
You can rent one for a weekend and if you get a buddy to help, you could have it all split in no time. Also, rent a big enough chipper and use all the small stuff for mulch or add to compost. Waste not, want not. We have done that with all the big ***** silver maples we have taken out of this place. Used to have 50 of them standing on the farmstead, but were so old they were all hazards, especially the ones along the driveway. We only have about 10 left and most of those will have to come out in the next year or two.
Just bEEEEE careful. I have a friend who was cutting last winter and all we can figure is as he was cutting, the limb snapped and kicked up, hitting him in the face. He survived, but had to have his jaw wired up and I think some screws put in to get things back together. The worst my husband has had so far is the chainsaw kicked back on a huge limb when he was on a lift and flipped, dropping about 30'. It bent the handle on the Husquie, but it still ran. He was lucky.

Yeah Klopklop. Dad is wondering why he didn't do it sooner-buying that log splitter. At $70/day...it's paid for in 13 days of work. Not too bad. He's just about got the wood all put up. He does about 4 loads with his little green wagon that he bought for his little green tractor.

Those Silver Maples are messy. They're nice if you want a fast growing shade tree in no time but ack...the leaves keep coming and coming off of those things and like you said the branches that fall of. Almost like a Lombardi popular.

Awe man! Time to post like crazy today.
I am thinking I will buy a splitter. One that can tip vertical. We are planning on building a new house late next year and that plan includes a woodstove for heat. I've been watching on Craigslist for a while but nothing with the features I want and in my price range has come up. If I had a tractor with a 3 point and 2 way hydraulics i would be made in the shade but alas....
I you are looking at building a house, then you should look at something called Formworks Buildings and masonry heaters. If we ever get to it, we have plans to join a Formworks to our existing 2-story garage, and install a masonry heater. We have wood, and we started the rapid growing hybrid poplars to use as a woodlot. 5-8 years harvestable firewood. Of course, btu is not as good as oak, but for growing fuel, they are a pretty good tree to plant.

Here is a link to the Formworks FB page:
https://www.facebook.com/formworks.building

well i think i have the run Eagle.hawk,owl proof. now today i think I'm going to try and Squirrel proof in the last 2 days i figure they have eaten about 20 lbs of food. and i noticed they keep the chickens away from the food.. they scream at the girls and wag their tails and one even lunged at one of the girls.. BAD Squirrels... so now I'm going to have 2 layers of wire. I should have just done it right the 1st time and used the hardware cloth...then the only thing left to do will be the wire skirting on the outside bottom... then winterizing it shortly after that,,,NVM i don't think it will ever be done...LOL....

Back
Top Bottom