Minnesota!

I wouldn't sell them either, but personally, I would do the float test.  It hasn't let me down yet -  and I would use any that sunk to the bottom - but then, I am down to just a few eggs a day.   The others, yes, feed back to the flock.  You can just break the eggs into the feed and mix, they will gobble them up.

So even eggs that may float can still be fed to the chickens?

No, Minnie, what you are supposed to say is "Hey Foxy, you don't want ducks. They are noisy and messy and they will need their own separate housing from the chickens. Don't do it!!"
Are you kidding??? And enabler like me tell someone they don't want more birds?? Come on.
lau.gif

I read this about 10 times and I think I finally got it! So, this little one ended up with a recessive gene of some sort because there was a split color gene somewhere down the road. The feather shafts are grayish/white. I noticed a few white feathers beginning to pop out this morning. Do you think it'll be white or will only time tell? I think I'll have it around 3 months, so I'm excited to watch how it changes. I'm hoping it's a female. I just think it's super cool that this random light chick hatched from two black silkie's and with all black siblings. It's the little things in my life...lol...

@NathanZee , great pictures! I love Khaki Campbells. I always wanted to get African Geese - I heard they're more friendly than other breeds and I think they're beautiful. However, they don't lay many eggs, correct?
Yes, it is very confusing to me sometimes, which is why my goal this Winter is to read my book called The Genetics of Fowl. Hopefully, I will know more next Spring. LOL

Anytime a white bird has been used anywhere back in a bird's history, you have a chance of throwing whites if 2 birds that carry that recessive gene are paired. All the recessive white is an 'off' switch for color. A white bird still carries whatever color, but it just shuts off the color and makes the bird white. For example, 2 years ago we had a couple white ducklings pop up. We only have exhibition rouens and black/blue muscovies, not a white bird on the place. I let them grow out and they turned out like perfectly white rouens. I talked to a few old breeders and they said many years ago, some breeders crossed in Ayelsburies to improve the type on the rouens. I may have just gotten the luck of the draw and had 2 birds that remotely carried that gene to cross. My mom also bought a quad of black and blues on that standard cochins. Had a white pullet pop up there too this year....

You also have to think that white was the original color on many breeds. Take silkies for example... White has been in the standard for over 100 years. Black has been in since about 1960 and bearded splash and buff as recent as 2002. They had to cross in other breeds somewhere back there to introduce that color in silkies, but it all started with the whites. A lot of breeders today even cross colored birds onto whites to improve type and feathering.
I knew Amy would have more info than I.
I too have had Whites pop out, one last year and one this year, from my Blue Cochins. Last year I looked at it and kept saying ,"What the h---?" Now, I just accept that I got a double recessive gene in there and keep on going.
Yes, time will tell. If the feathers are already coming out white then I would guess it is a recessive white. I have had more Silkies pop out white though than any other breed here. I think I had Whites in my Partridge Silkies when I had them too.

Good info, Amy! Thanks for sharing it. And I would LOVE to see some of those huge Rouens in White! How cool is that???

I also want to note. There is a good chance these eggs are fertilized aswell. However finding then there was no hen on them and the temps were anywhere from 35-65...

You could incubate if you wanted just to see, but do a daily sniff test
sickbyc.gif
if one goes bad, it is not a fun ordeal. ;)

So even eggs that may float can still be fed to the chickens?
If you are confident they are no more than 4 weeks old, even 6 weeks old, I would be really surprised if you had a full floater. A full floater, I would throw it as far as I could into the woods, etc.

An egg that didn't totally sink to the bottom, but sort of floats up a bit, halfway, I would feed to the chickens.

Eggs should last 6-8 weeks at the temps we have been having.....

Given the things I've seen chickens eat, I think the chickens would probably eat rotten eggs just fine, but the stink would do you in.

Cluckies, I am only on page 50 something of that thread and have another 30 pages or so to go, but OH! I think I am converted. You can make those wasteless feeders out of metal! Out of wood! Out of garbage cans!!!

I see you have been on that thread, did you make a wasteless feeder? pics?
Not only will it fix the rat attraction, but I won't have to add feed as often. And in winter I don't feed wet mash (because it freezes
barnie.gif
), so this is perfect timing.

If my daughter doesn't have the baby this weekend, I hope to make one before Monday.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-gallon-25-feed-bucket-feeder-for-about-3/510

I am headed down towards the chitys this afternoon, is Tractor Supply in Zimmerman or Elk River?
erli. There's a TSC on the frontage road where the Elk River Walmart is. On the south end of Elk River.

(Love TSC's pine shavings.)

ok, I would love to hear more about this. I've also been told no layer mash for roosters for the same reasons. I've always just switched the flock to all feed mixes when there has been roosters in the flock. Am just about to finish up on the batch of laying mash I had when Ralphie's creamer roo came (got to name that guy) and was thinking of getting all flock.

How long have you been feeding roosters layer mash?

He's a 4 year old rooster. Let it be known that he also free ranges so his diet is influxed/diluted with what he's foraging out of the woods. That may be a factor to this. However bones of a frog will give calcium too. Ha! I've seen breeders more concerned with this problem, I'm guessing. If you have a valuable show-worthy Rooster in breeding pens eating only mash and one you want to keep for value or monetary reasons perpetuating lines, etc. Kidney problems based on diet would not be a great thing to happen with a rooster of such value. IDK... I think they said most roosters can handle it or do handle it fine. But maybe that comes from folks that only keep roos for so long...and never see or do an autopsy on a rooster that keels over one day...IDK. I don't know much about it LaLa...just thoughts about who the information is coming from and what and how it applies to me. I've taken advice before and then realized my situation and decided to change my mind to make my life easier. And have been "Ok" with the change. If that makes sense.

Last edited:
Hey ya'll....I'm venturing north of the Mason Dixon to find out what ya'll did with Ralphie. Actually there are several of us on the Turkey thread wondering about him. Last he posted he seemed to be getting a cold....then nothing. Did the guineas finally do him in? Did he fall into a state of manic depression after camp day? Or did he venture off in search of the perfect peach never to be seen again.....we are all curious. Ya'll stay warm up there!

Back
Top Bottom