Minnesota!

You boys and your toys.

My "DH" went to North Dakota duck hunting with my son yesterday afternoon. This summer it was determined that my son needed his own 12 GA. He was ready to move up from the 20 GA. So as we're determining where to get $800 from to make such a purchase. I asked my husband if we didn't have another 12 GA filed under the King sized bed....because we are like princess and the pea...except in place of mattresses...my gun collector has mounds of gun cases and all sorts of guns under the bed. So you have the picture. I just couldn't understand why we would need another 12 GA in the house when I should wonder if there wasn't another one here that would suffice. Because with that mound under us...certainly there wouldn't just be one 12 GA. It's like just having one phillips screwdriver for a construction worker....right? Not going to happen....

Nope Nope Nope...he needs a 12 GA. We don't have a 12 GA that he could use.

So the packing and loading of the truck happens Tuesday night. His friend stops over and I hear their conversation outside. Yeah bringing a 3rd gun just in case one gets locked up on us or seized or whatever the right term is for malfunctioning shotgun. He comes in for another load. I say, " Is that a 3rd 12 GA?! I though we didn't have another 12 GA that DS could use?! "

"He can't! It's not right for him." What?~!
Needless to say I feel buffaloed and lied to by a gun fiend in the form of my nutso husband. We women are onto you..... I should have trusted my gut instinct earlier this summer. As it turned out DS wanted a gun to call his own and he has saved birthday and Christmas money for 13 years of his life and was able to purchase something that fit him and that no doubt will last him his whole life if he takes care of it. But I don't like the round about words DH has fanagled things. He's something else.
Busted! haha yeah i know better than trying that move :) As i tell my friends when they are trying to peer pressure me to do something that i know i should clear with DW first "My couch isnt THAT comfortable hahaha I love my DW too much to blatantly do something that I know will make her mad. I talk a big game on here for chuckles because I know she isnt reading
lau.gif
Im really just a big pushover who knows who the real boss is haha

Now... that isnt to say i wont try and pull in some questionable evidence, such as 'needing to protect the flock' when i build my case to convince her that I should buy this shotgun for example lol

You boys and your toys.

My "DH" went to North Dakota duck hunting with my son yesterday afternoon. This summer it was determined that my son needed his own 12 GA. He was ready to move up from the 20 GA. So as we're determining where to get $800 from to make such a purchase. I asked my husband if we didn't have another 12 GA filed under the King sized bed....because we are like princess and the pea...except in place of mattresses...my gun collector has mounds of gun cases and all sorts of guns under the bed. So you have the picture. I just couldn't understand why we would need another 12 GA in the house when I should wonder if there wasn't another one here that would suffice. Because with that mound under us...certainly there wouldn't just be one 12 GA. It's like just having one phillips screwdriver for a construction worker....right? Not going to happen....

Nope Nope Nope...he needs a 12 GA. We don't have a 12 GA that he could use.

So the packing and loading of the truck happens Tuesday night. His friend stops over and I hear their conversation outside. Yeah bringing a 3rd gun just in case one gets locked up on us or seized or whatever the right term is for malfunctioning shotgun. He comes in for another load. I say, " Is that a 3rd 12 GA?! I though we didn't have another 12 GA that DS could use?! "

"He can't! It's not right for him." What?~!
Needless to say I feel buffaloed and lied to by a gun fiend in the form of my nutso husband. We women are onto you..... I should have trusted my gut instinct earlier this summer. As it turned out DS wanted a gun to call his own and he has saved birthday and Christmas money for 13 years of his life and was able to purchase something that fit him and that no doubt will last him his whole life if he takes care of it. But I don't like the round about words DH has fanagled things. He's something else.

You know what you need to do? Secretly make guns your new course of study, so when he starts trying to play you the next time, you got a leg up on him. Take inventory too! LOL

Does the fence keep most of the snow out? I'm on the fence (pun intended) about putting a tarp on top of them but worry about snow load. Both runs are on the Lee side of their buildings so probably more protected in that sense
Nah. partly because it is such a big area, but I used an old snow fence because someone gave them to me. They are great for temporary pens, etc and work fine in the run.

The roof fence wire is, of course, totally worthless for keeping snow out. I do shovel an area in the run for them, but they really don't use it much.

just came in for a warm up. Making good progress on covering my run. I will upload some photos. Its decently windy here which is actually working in my favor because i can see where the plastic wants to flap so i can tighten it down. its definitly not going to win a beauty contest but this is strictly function over form!

the chickens seem to like it already!

I am trying out a keyboard on my Iphone. It appears I can actually type normally.

Spellcheck does not seem to work. I hate the small keyboard of the Iphone so this is great..

I can now comment on important stuff and share my wisdom with you when not home. I am babysitting today, performing Grandpa duties with perfection.

BC We never use to have possums in the St Cloud area, ( Orrock Township) untill about 15-20 years ago. My Dad claimed they came up in large round bales from the south when farmers bought those bales. Even so we do not have many, I think they fail to thrive on our cold winter nights. I have never seen a live one at my place, but I did see a dead one on the road 10-15 years ago. Which is when I asked my Dad about them.

At the risk of losing a redneck point, I am a doubting Thomas on the corn causing a chickens feathers to yellow. I know in the case of Flamingoes the iodine in shell fish causes the red, so it is possible what they eat affects the coloring.

However, I would want to see a study conducted by a reputable University or research group before I buy the corn turns the feathers yellow thing.

Minnie EJB has it completely correct I am in charge, unless I am not at home!

Work in progress

The girls are already chekcing out the covered run

Front plastic is all tacked down. the x's are screwed to scraps of wodd through the fence to hold them tight. so far no flapping!

I loaded in one 'loader full' of sand from the tractor to cover about 1/4 of the floor

You can see how i braced the roof for snow load, added lights that evenutally will share power with the heated dog bowl

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesmc...hy-owning-backyard-chickens-is-for-the-birds/

Im gonna play the devils advocate and you tell me why this article is "for the birds" just like I told the lady of FB who had to send me this link after posting a pic of my chickens...

2 key points here -
1) this person seems to think we are all kale smoothie drinking hipsters
2) This person has obviously never kept chickens and is quoting what they have found on google. they dont know the happiness that hens give you.

There were a few valid bits in there. especially the ones about 'leftover cockerels' and people buying crappy prebuilt coops and then losing their birds to predators. none the less... the author just doesnt understand.

Work in progress

The girls are already chekcing out the covered run

Front plastic is all tacked down. the x's are screwed to scraps of wodd through the fence to hold them tight. so far no flapping!

I loaded in one 'loader full' of sand from the tractor to cover about 1/4 of the floor

You can see how i braced the roof for snow load, added lights that evenutally will share power with the heated dog bowl
That looks awesome.... im sure the girls will LOVE it....

Back
Top Bottom