Minnesota!

I've heard good things with essential oils in the coop in addition to treatment.

SO..... ugh. The necropsy isn't showing lung issues!!!! :/ I should be excited, but right now I'm thinking of that $330 vet bill I paid for that rooster. I really hope it is nothing, but those birds didn't sound like it was nothing at all. It is still early to tell, but he sounded pretty convinced it was likely clear by looking. They are running the labs though and will know more next week. On a positive other note, I did get a chick to hatch from him and I have more eggs awaiting the incubator from him and my bbs hens.

Great article. Do you pre-treat for mites? I've seen a few sprays around. I especially worry about the silkie that sleep on the ground, but I haven't had a mites problem....yet.

welcome switchbackmat89! Jump right in!

Minnie, that was a good link to the article on mites and lice. Always astounds me when the advice is to keep sparrows and wild birds away from the flock. How in the heck do you do that?

Ever since I had that lice problem with one of the hens in early winter, I've been extra vigilent picking up birds to examine. The thing is, with progressive lenses it is sometimes hard to get a good look unless I can get the bird's vent way in front of me so I don't have to look down. Guess I"m whining!

We didn't get a lick of snow my way. I hope that was the last wave of it.

@Wild Child , are you getting chicks this Spring?
More then likely yes, right now I'm pretty busy prepping for goats and helping train a friend's rowdy lab but I will be getting some EE chicks soon and I'm bound to buy some pullets throughout the summer
smile.png

welcome switchbackmat89! Jump right in!

Minnie, that was a good link to the article on mites and lice. Always astounds me when the advice is to keep sparrows and wild birds away from the flock. How in the heck do you do that?

Ever since I had that lice problem with one of the hens in early winter, I've been extra vigilent picking up birds to examine. The thing is, with progressive lenses it is sometimes hard to get a good look unless I can get the bird's vent way in front of me so I don't have to look down. Guess I"m whining!

I have had lice here and there and haven't had much difficulty it treating and getting rid of them. But this is just a mess. I am still thinking I could have possibly gotten them from the straw. My bachelors have been in the hoop away from all the other flock and no sparrows in with them, and they are covered!
The other thing that has me totally boggled, is that I have some who are covered in the breeding pens, and other birds in the same pen show nothing at all. HOW??? One NH rooster has them bad, has been breeding the hens, but they hens have no a one on them. I am just baffled. The Cochins are the worst, but the rooster in there hasn't a thing crawling on him, but the hens were loaded and the pullets had them starting up fast. Again, with breeding going on in the pen, you would think he would have them too, but nope. The weather didn't help me with getting things cleaned out more either.

I have had lice here and there and haven't had much difficulty it treating and getting rid of them.  But this is just a mess.  I am still thinking I could have possibly gotten them from the straw.  My bachelors have been in the hoop away from all the other flock and no sparrows in with them, and they are covered!

The other thing that has me totally boggled, is that I have some who are covered in the breeding pens, and other birds in the same pen show nothing at all.  HOW???  One NH rooster has them bad, has been breeding the hens, but they hens have no a one on them.  I am just baffled.  The Cochins are the worst, but the rooster in there hasn't a thing crawling on him, but the hens were loaded and the pullets had them starting up fast. Again, with breeding going on in the pen, you would think he would have them too, but nope.  The weather didn't help me with getting things cleaned out more either.

Minnie I found a bad infestation on my birds awhile back and cleaned it up with ash. I am going to put 5 gallon pale of wood ash where everyone dust bathes to try and provent gettimg those buggers again. I wonder if the birds that dust bathe more dont have them as bad? My CX hen never dust bathed and she had them the worst of my birds.

And my dumb question . Can waterfowl get mites? I hope not. My Muscovy drake is not a lapper. Hes nice just doesnt like to be held or picked up and I really dont want to dust them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom