Misrepresented Hatching Eggs?

CluckyCharms

Songster
7 Years
Sep 28, 2012
Missouri, but Montana in my dreams
My Coop
My Coop
I'm wondering if anyone has hatched and raised chicks and were told they were direct from a certain breeder (a well known breeder whose birds are highly sought after) only to find out later that these birds are *not* from the lines of said breeder and are completely unrelated. Do I have any recourse? They are still selling these chickens and their hatching eggs as 100% direct from "said breeder" and - they're not. I was also told when I asked the question that these birds were purchased from said breeder 4 months prior to when I purchased the hatching eggs. However, I have since discovered that said reputable breeder hasn't even had any of these birds in his proximity; he got out of chickens some time last year - which would make a 4 month prior purchase impossible.

What to do?

Did you pay for the hatching eggs via paypal or ebay? You would have recourse to receive a refund and post a review of the seller.

You might want to contact the seller first and confront them with the information you have and get the "real story". Maybe they are from the lines that were purchased by whoever purchased out the first breeder?

Good luck!
I'm wondering if anyone has hatched and raised chicks and were told they were direct from a certain breeder (a well known breeder whose birds are highly sought after) only to find out later that these birds are *not* from the lines of said breeder and are completely unrelated. Do I have any recourse? They are still selling these chickens and their hatching eggs as 100% direct from "said breeder" and - they're not. I was also told when I asked the question that these birds were purchased from said breeder 4 months prior to when I purchased the hatching eggs. However, I have since discovered that said reputable breeder hasn't even had any of these birds in his proximity; he got out of chickens some time last year - which would make a 4 month prior purchase impossible.

What to do?

I definitely won't be purchasing any more eggs from this person - that's a given. But, that solves my problem, it doesn't help solve the problem everyone else who believes him is going to face. That's the part that gets me...but as someone told me in another thread, I guess I can only be responsible for me, not everyone else. I'll let it go I guess, it just bugs me that people can be so unscrupulous like that.

It's apparent these chicks are definitely not from the line this person said they were...no chance of it. Ahh well, I'm going to mark this up to another newbie mistake of mine. :) I need to stop believing everything I read and start putting my feet to the pavement and looking in the real world for myself.

Have you spoke to the breeder, my be they made a mistake and will send the right ones. If they don't then leave them negative feedback, that others will see. You could talk to others and see if they had the same problem

Have you spoke to the breeder, my be they made a mistake and will send the right ones. If they don't then leave them negative feedback, that others will see. You could talk to others and see if they had the same problem

This isn't someone from this forum. This is an e-bay seller (yeh, I know...I should know better but at the time I was still pretty new and didn't think anything of it). I e-mailed the seller and have yet to receive a reply.

Last edited:
I believe this probably happens a lot. I have been looking into a couple of certain breeds and it seems everybody advertises theirs as from such and such lines. I have found some that have no real idea where theirs came from. Others that were told by the breeders they dealt with that they were from such and such lines but have no real proof of it. I think with some breeds if you go back far enough that all birds in this country came from one breeder so for those breeds ya anyone with them can say they are such and such lines and it be true. I think your issue is that they said theirs were directly from those lines and they were not? Which is what people need to really look into. Just because birds are from a certain line really doesnt mean much. It depends how far back those direct lines were. One or two generations of breeding to the wrong birds can ruin a line. JMO

I believe this probably happens a lot. I have been looking into a couple of certain breeds and it seems everybody advertises theirs as from such and such lines. I have found some that have no real idea where theirs came from. Others that were told by the breeders they dealt with that they were from such and such lines but have no real proof of it. I think with some breeds if you go back far enough that all birds in this country came from one breeder so for those breeds ya anyone with them can say they are such and such lines and it be true. I think your issue is that they said theirs were directly from those lines and they were not? Which is what people need to really look into. Just because birds are from a certain line really doesnt mean much. It depends how far back those direct lines were. One or two generations of breeding to the wrong birds can ruin a line. JMO

That makes perfect sense, and I never thought of it that way. I'm not sure I agree with people saying "from such and such lines" if it was forever ago and they've mixed lordy knows what in there in the meantime - then is it really the exact same line? No, it isn't. I agree with you and you bring up an excellent point.

Seller specifically said he got the parents directly from said breeder 4 months before the hatching eggs transaction - that's not possible if said breeder sold his flock in 2011.

I don't understand what the big deal is anyway. Molly McButternut Squash has just as much chance of creating a fault-free beautiful APA standard bird as high-n-mighty "so and so" that everyone knows the name of...why not just be honest and say exactly where your birds come from? Sigh. Oh that's right I know - because people are unscrupulous, that's why. =(

Your right you should claim your eggs/chicks as your own and then be honest about where your birds came from. If you want to name drop such and such lines I have no problem with that as long as your honest about it. It's along with dog breeders stating champion lines when there was one or two champions five or six generations back. It is all a way to help with sales to the unknowing IMO. There are lines that are known and it always looks good to name drop them if your trying to make sales in some breeders opinion.
Think of those breeders that did work so hard to create a line of their own and then someone comes along ruins it in a generation or two and then pimps their low quaility birds all over the place by using that breeders lines name.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom