miss Limpy McCurl Toe

DustyDave

Chirping
Apr 19, 2015
Tulsa
About a week and a half ago I noticed one of our older pullets seem to be sitting a lot and getting badly bullied by the last roos which hadn't been culled yet. Other than weak legs and generally not getting to the food much because of harassment, she seems fine; just laying on her feet funny and these toes staying curle. No leg paralysis or neck twisting backwards.
I separated her and she's been spending most of her time with a few pullets in a folding dog cage where she didn't have far to go for a whole flock to compete with for food or water.
Any thoughts?

Last edited:
She either has congenital birth defects, likely from too much inbreeding or she may be suffering from the effects of delayed hatching.  A third possibility is Marek's Disease.
Ah! Sorry, to clarify...
This bird is 5.5 months old and the behavior started out of the blue about 2 weeks ago.

It could possibly be riboflavin (vitamin B2) deficiency, but that needs to be treated quickly with vitamins, otherwise it can become permanent. The other possibility is early signs of Mareks disease. Try some poultry vitamins (not Nutri-Drench) in her water, or use B Complex or nutritional yeast in her food. Here are some links to read:
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/217/vitamin-b2-deficiency/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

14-07-15AHVLA2.jpg
clip_image010.jpg

Riboflavin deficiency (curled toe paralysis)

At this point, I'm speculating she got a mouse that maybe a neighbor put out pellets for. Still slowly recovering strength from the blood thinner, still sitting on that right foot curled from neurological damage. I had her eating starter & added daily poly-vi-sol.
Almost three weeks. I'd have thought any serious conditions would have ran their course. Right?

Last edited:
Sorry that she still has the problem, but I still think she either has Mareks or it was curled toe paralysis from riboflavin deficiency. Giving riboflavin especially if it has been that way for some time, won't always cure it. Was she vaccinated for Mareks?

Couldn't say. We got 4 that were @3 months old: she (unknown breed), RIR, Welsummer, & a black Astrloorp.
First eggs this week too!

I know this thread is over a year old but I am curious about what happened to the chicken, did she pull through?

Back
Top Bottom