Missing Chicks

Thank you for this tip, we've just discovered several large holes in the wire, about 4 feet off the ground. Not sure what's going on, but we hadn't realized before that predators could chew through the wire! We feel like we're up against a wall.

Chicken wire is not made to keep predators out. It's made to keep chickens in. Huge difference there I'm afraid. I would urge you to replace that chicken wire with heavy gauge hardware cloth. It's not really "cloth" and it's not as cheap as chicken wire, but it's definitely more secure and will go a long way toward protecting your birds. I have that on my coop and then as a backup plan also have electric fence around the perimeter.

Chicken wire is not made to keep predators out. It's made to keep chickens in. Huge difference there I'm afraid. I would urge you to replace that chicken wire with heavy gauge hardware cloth. It's not really "cloth" and it's not as cheap as chicken wire, but it's definitely more secure and will go a long way toward protecting your birds. I have that on my coop and then as a backup plan also have electric fence around the perimeter.
if youre going to spend the money on good wire fence you should consider cage wire it is in many different heights and lengths we used it on my aunts pheasant pen and have never had any predaters penetrate it

\
Below is what my ground brooder is made of but it did not stop rats above from digging in threw the bottom of the ground brooder which in turn allowed snakes to enter threw the rat whole that is fixed now by covering the bottom with small gage wire also

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom