Missing Duck Mystery

DuckLover677

Hatching
Oct 9, 2018
i have had ducks for approximately 4/5 years now. We have 3 of them that we let outside everyday for multiple hours a day, to eat bugs, swim in our small pond, and just generally hang out. However, recently, yesterday everything was going normal. The ducks were doing their normal routines, it was about 11:30 AM when I noticed that one of them was completely missing. We checked EVERY square inch of that property, not even a feather. Nothing. She was just GONE. We chalked it up to maybe, possibly, being an Owl that has lifted her away. But could it be something else? She was one of the first two ducks that we got, and she was the “mother” Duck, if you will. It’s really upsetting to loose her. I wish I could find out what did it so that I can fix that problem for good.

Perhaps you could set up a trail camera? You will be able to see any predators that may be around when you review the footage.

I am sorry for the loss of your duck.

Perhaps you could set up a trail camera? You will be able to see any predators that may be around when you review the footage.

I am sorry for the loss of your duck.

I like this idea, We will try this out once we get a hold of a camera like this. Also, Thank you, She was such a sweet little bird....I hated to see her go like that. :(

Is she sitting on eggs some place?
Not that we currently know of. They have JUST started laying eggs her recently, only three though so far. I’m still not sure if she was the one laying them or not, seeing as we have one other female in the bunch and/trio. However, I highly doubt that she would be sitting somewhere on some eggs. She usually is never separated from the others for too long what-so-ever. She has never sat in eggs outside before....Actually....She has never even layed an egg outside of their coop ever beforehand, that we m ow of that is at-least.....She also probably would of, at some point in time, gone to the pond, her coop, or our shop, which is usually ALWAYS lit up, and where they generally always hang around at. But nothing would make me happier than to find her perfectly fine somewhere just chilling, sitting on some eggs of hers! :) I am just afraid that isn’t the case here....:(

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's heartbreaking and I imagine stressful to not know exactly what happened! Is it possible she "flew" the fence? What breed of duck was she? The complete lack of feathers is suggestive she wasn't attacked... is there anything in the pond? Any big snapping turtles that could have pulled her under the water? I hope you get answers!

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's heartbreaking and I imagine stressful to not know exactly what happened! Is it possible she "flew" the fence? What breed of duck was she? The complete lack of feathers is suggestive she wasn't attacked... is there anything in the pond? Any big snapping turtles that could have pulled her under the water? I hope you get answers!
No turtles around here to be able to get her. They never get more than two feet of the ground, so I highly doubt that she just flew off. She’s NEVER done anything like that type of behavior before, but it still could be a possibility I suppose....:(

Not sure where you are located, but in my area a fox could have snatched her right up with no sign of anything. Only the amateur foxes leave feathers behind or raccoons.

:welcome sorry for the circumstances. It could have been any of the 'snatch and run' predators - coyote, fox, bobcat --------- I would be concerned that the predator will return and would keep the remaining ducks in a secure pen. Good luck in protecting them.

:welcome sorry for the circumstances. It could have been any of the 'snatch and run' predators - coyote, fox, bobcat --------- I would be concerned that the predator will return and would keep the remaining ducks in a secure pen. Good luck in protecting them.
Yes! I meant to say that in my post. The predator will definitely return!

Back
Top Bottom