Missing duck???

Back on the Farm

Songster
8 Years
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland
I came home yesterday and noticed that my male pekin was missing. I looked all over the area that he roams and no duck, not even a trace. My female is calling to him, but no response.

He was great at protecting my chicken flock and the other duck. He's never gone missing, is always close to the coop and house, and when I'm in the yard he would follow me around. He would even 'walk' me to my car in the morning and greet me when I came home.

The only thing I can think of is a predator, or that he may have gotten hurt and hid/died somewhere, or someone duck-napped him (although I don't think that is likely as I live in an area of nothing but farms and everyone knows everyone, besides what would another farmer want with a duck?)

Any ideas??? He was a 12 pound male pekin duck. I don't have issues with foxes unless one moved in recently as we have someone who traps, we hunt, and I have 3 dogs... but you never know.

Thanks

I have had several disappear without a trace. Either a predator or someone took them...I called for weeks to no avail just part of the cycle owning ducks I suppose! Sorry
hugs.gif

If he waddles off somewhere, then its likely that he will find his way back. He knows he has hens to protect, good food, and a warm coop to stay in at night...ducks can find their way home like a dog or a cat. I think he'll show up! Please fills us in! Let us know what happens!

Night 2 and no duck... If he were migratory, I'd suspect he would have flown off with some ducks, but he is a pekin and can't fly. I'm guessing predator - animal or human.

I also thought that maybe that my girl made a nest somewhere and he's sitting on it, but after counting eggs, she lays one a day and they are in the nesting box.

I'll keep my eyes out for a few more days - just in case. He has a nice warm spot, tons of food, and a duck who misses him, waiting for him in the coop should he return.

This is the part of farming that sucks... the chickens wouldn't have bothered me too much as they are food for the family and we live on a farm where they free range, but the ducks are pets (the compromise with my kids for having the chickens as food). I told my oldest last night and he was out helping me look, he's 14 and hunts so he gets the circle of life thing and put it in perspective. My youngest (8) is a bit upset and worried. It will take him a few days to put it into perspective.

Thanks for the insight... I'll keep my eyes out just in case.

Night 2 and no duck... If he were migratory, I'd suspect he would have flown off with some ducks, but he is a pekin and can't fly. I'm guessing predator - animal or human.

I also thought that maybe that my girl made a nest somewhere and he's sitting on it, but after counting eggs, she lays one a day and they are in the nesting box.

I'll keep my eyes out for a few more days - just in case. He has a nice warm spot, tons of food, and a duck who misses him, waiting for him in the coop should he return.

This is the part of farming that sucks... the chickens wouldn't have bothered me too much as they are food for the family and we live on a farm where they free range, but the ducks are pets (the compromise with my kids for having the chickens as food). I told my oldest last night and he was out helping me look, he's 14 and hunts so he gets the circle of life thing and put it in perspective. My youngest (8) is a bit upset and worried. It will take him a few days to put it into perspective.

I'm sorry I hope you find him. Have you posted in your feed store? maybe one of your neighbors saw a strange car or truck around on the day he went missing. Never hurts to ask..

Praying that he will be returned safely and that your 8 yr. old will have peace! I know how hard it is to lose a pet....its tragic
hit.gif

I haven't had a duck or chicken get token by a predator but I feel your pain!! If someone took him maybe they thought they would set him loose at the nearest duck habitat or something..Hope you find him soon!
hugs.gif

I'm sad to report that Quakers is no more. My sons found him this evening and we buried him in a nice spot in a unused section of our barnyard. Now I'm trying to figure out what got him so that I can protect the rest of my flock. He fought whatever it was that attacked him as his beak was bruised and bloodied - he was like that and was probably protecting the flock when it happened. My chickens and remaining duck haven't strayed too far from the coop & house in over a week. They are always in sight and they used to go out into the meadow and up to the corn fields.

I'm puzzled because he was found in a spot that my older son and I checked multiple times when he went missing, so something recently drug him to that location. I don't think that a fox or coyote attacked him because we found him. His rear end, both feet, and internal organs are missing, and he had two large cuts on his neck - more of a scrape than a bite. His beak was bruised and bloodied. All feathers and wings were attached. He didn't have any back injuries and no missing feathers on his back, chest, neck, head, or wings. I'm at a loss as to what happened. It's been over a week since he went missing and there was still a lot of him left, so I believe that whatever attacked him only injured him and he hid or couldn't get back to the coop and recently died in the past few days.

He was a great duck and had tons of personality. He would keep an eye out not only for the other duck, but all my chickens as well. We are in the process of building a better and bigger run for the chickens & now remaining duck. I do like them to free range, but it is that time of the year where I need to put in my veggie garden - building a fence for them is cheaper than putting a fence around my large garden. Hopefully, with them no longer free ranging, whatever attacked will move on to some place else.

Thank you for the well wishes and 'hugs' This board is full of kindness and a wealth of information.

Back
Top Bottom