Missing Eggs!

Silkie-Feet

Songster
9 Years
Jul 16, 2010
Ky, Kentucky
I found a black rat snake behind my nesting box last week, he was at least 5 ft long and he is no longer bothering the chickens. This week, I had 3 eggs disappear yesterday - and two eggs disappeared today. I wouldn't be too worried, but I'm saving my Marans eggs to incubate! My chickens are not harmed, and show no sign of distress. My coop is built very secure, (metal roof and siding, concrete floor, concrete footer around run, ect.) there is no way for any predator bigger than the size of chicken wire holes to get into the coop. I presume I have another snake problem, but I'd like to know which possible predators I could be dealing with. In addition, what are some ways to deal with a sneaky snake or otherwise predator without harming my chickens. I've heard about using ceramic eggs, will that work?

Maybe you could know what time of day that your Maran's lay the eggs, and you or someone else be there to grab them right away?
That's a great idea, but they lay them throughout the day. One has an egg laid before I ever get to the coop in the morning, and a couple won't lay their egg until late afternoon. I can't be there throughout the day to collect eggs, thus my need to handle the predator.

I assume you 'ended' the snake and didn't just relocate it?

Ceramic eggs may help.
I've read of using a minnow trap baited with eggs to trap snakes and not harm the birds.
Are your birds confined to a secure run during the day?

How do you know you lost 3 and 2 eggs?
Did you see them and then they were gone....
.....or are you assuming all birds are laying everyday??

If your birds are over year old they may be getting ready to molt,
thus the slowdown in laying.

I assume you 'ended' the snake and didn't just relocate it?

Ceramic eggs may help.
I've read of using a minnow trap baited with eggs to trap snakes and not harm the birds.
Are your birds confined to a secure run during the day?

How do you know you lost 3 and 2 eggs?
Did you see them and then they were gone....
.....or are you assuming all birds are laying everyday??

If your birds are over year old they may be getting ready to molt,
thus the slowdown in laying.

I saw the eggs in the nest, but I left them to encourage the other hens to lay in the boxes. I just bought the marans, so they're not exactly sure where to lay yet. I have a secure run that the birds are confined to during the winter, but they may free range through the summer. I'll look into using a minnow trap! My coop is fairly large, 30ft by 60ft; after the snake last week I cleaned out the entire coop. There's not anywhere for them to hide, so I'm considering bird netting to keep them from entering through small holes in the run.

I saw the eggs in the nest, but I left them to encourage the other hens to lay in the boxes.
I keep extra fake egg/golf balls,
replacing a real egg with a fakie when I gather frequently,
like when I'm stocking up on hatching eggs.

My coop is fairly large, 30ft by 60ft;
Whoa! that's bigger than my house!! Got pics?

Back
Top Bottom