Missing saddle feathers

shire11

In the Brooder
Jul 29, 2023
Some of my hens are missing saddle feathers because of my roosters and I don't to use hen saddle because they can get stuck on things and my hens hate them, so I was wondering if it would work to use vet wrap because that would probably be safer.

Hello shire11.
Welcome to BYC.
What age and breed is your rooster and how much feather damage is he doing?
A few pictures would be helpful.
In general, some feather damage is common and in general the hens take it in their stride.
It's usually a miss match between rooster breed and weight to the hens that is the issue.

Hello shire11.
Welcome to BYC.
What age and breed is your rooster and how much feather damage is he doing?
A few pictures would be helpful.
In general, some feather damage is common and in general the hens take it in their stride.
It's usually a miss match between rooster breed and weight to the hens that is the issue.
I can't get any pictures but five of my hens are missing most of the feathers and I just need a way to protect their backs and new feathers while they're growing back. I have two roosters who are an easter and olive egger who are just over a year old and three two year old silkie roosters who might as well be hens that don't lay eggs. I've also got a bunch of swedish flower hen and olive egger cockerels who I'm trying to find homes for and once they're gone the rest of my roosters will be just fine for the hens but I just need to protect the hens until the cockerels are gone and then while their feathers grow back.

I can't get any pictures but five of my hens are missing most of the feathers and I just need a way to protect their backs and new feathers while they're growing back. I have two roosters who are an easter and olive egger who are just over a year old and three two year old silkie roosters who might as well be hens that don't lay eggs. I've also got a bunch of swedish flower hen and olive egger cockerels who I'm trying to find homes for and once they're gone the rest of my roosters will be just fine for the hens but I just need to protect the hens until the cockerels are gone and then while their feathers grow back.
Seperate all the cockerels and non senior roosters from the hens would seem to be the logical answer.

I would love to do that but my problem is that I have nowhere that I can put them until I can find new homes for them.

I don't know enough about how you got to the position you are now in or what your keeping circumstances are to offer any advice other than get rid of those chickens you don't wish to keep.
My solution failing immediate rehoming would be to eat the males I couldn't keep. This isn't an acceptable answer for many people but it does solve the problem.
Vet wrap is not an option and as you mention, saddles get caught on things, the hens don't like them and they are unhygienic.

Back
Top Bottom