Missouri is challenging California's requirements on cage size for chickens.

Bullitt

Crowing
8 Years
Jan 16, 2012
Texas
Missouri is challenging California's requirements on cage size for chickens. California will not allow eggs to enter California unless the laying hens are kept in cages that meet California standards. Missouri officials say one state cannot require another state to do this.

"The lawsuit by Missouri Attorney General Chris Koster takes aim at a California law set to take effect in 2015 that prohibits eggs from being sold there if they come from hens raised in cages that don't comply with California's new size and space requirements. Koster said Tuesday that the California law infringes on the interstate commerce protections of the U.S. Constitution by effectively imposing new requirements on out-of-state farmers."

http://news.yahoo.com/missouri-ag-c...1cHV0BHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1ZJUDI4Nl8x

Missouri is challenging California's requirements on cage size for chickens. California will not allow eggs to enter California unless the laying hens are kept in cages that meet California standards. Missouri officials say one state cannot require another state to do this.

"The lawsuit by Missouri Attorney General Chris Koster takes aim at a California law set to take effect in 2015 that prohibits eggs from being sold there if they come from hens raised in cages that don't comply with California's new size and space requirements. Koster said Tuesday that the California law infringes on the interstate commerce protections of the U.S. Constitution by effectively imposing new requirements on out-of-state farmers."

http://news.yahoo.com/missouri-ag-c...1cHV0BHNlYwNzYwRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1ZJUDI4Nl8x
And if California declared that they would not allow any black cars to be sold in California, would the auto manufacturers fight it, or would they just stop shipping black cars to California? California is just saying that if you want to sell your eggs here, then you need to provide acceptable living conditions for your birds. Missouri can choose to not sell eggs to California. That being said, I think the Government should just back off from trying to control every little aspect of our lives.

And if California declared that they would not allow any black cars to be sold in California, would the auto manufacturers fight it, or would they just stop shipping black cars to California? California is just saying that if you want to sell your eggs here, then you need to provide acceptable living conditions for your birds. Missouri can choose to not sell eggs to California. That being said, I think the Government should just back off from trying to control every little aspect of our lives.

I am conflicted on this issue. On the one hand I support providing better living conditions for chickens. But on the other hand I don't think one state can dictate how another state produces eggs.

The reason Missouri does not want to provide better living conditions for laying hens is because it would reduce profit. They also want to sell eggs to California, which has a population of about 40 million people.

We will see what happens in court.

My question is-- is the larger cage any better for the chicken than the smaller cage? The chicken is still confined to an itty-bitty space.

Just an obvservation-- no judgement.

Lots of money wasted on stupid laws. THat is a judgement. lol

I am conflicted on this issue. On the one hand I support providing better living conditions for chickens. But on the other hand I don't think one state can dictate how another state produces eggs.

The reason Missouri does not want to provide better living conditions for laying hens is because it would reduce profit. They also want to sell eggs to California, which has a population of about 40 million people.

We will see what happens in court.
They're kind of in a quandary then. Improve conditions for the chickens = lose profit, or don't sell to California = lose profit.My chickens are pretty smart, and each has a unique "personality", we should at least attempt to treat them humanely. "Humanely" is arbitrary however.

My question is-- is the larger cage any better for the chicken than the smaller cage? The chicken is still confined to an itty-bitty space.

Just an obvservation-- no judgement.

Lots of money wasted on stupid laws. THat is a judgement. lol

Yes, a larger cage is better. Chicken coops are essentially cages.

Are you saying California's law requiring better conditions for chickens is stupid?

Maybe instead of in-acting yet more laws and controlling peoples' rights. Let the people vote with their pocket book. I you think cage aka battery egg producing hens is inhumane or not right then buy "cage free" eggs or better yet from someone local. Business will do what keeps them in business. By the way I have been to California and personally the crowed feedlot type dairy's seem as bad if not worse then caged chickens. Talk about smell pollution. My two cents worth.

Maybe instead of in-acting yet more laws and controlling peoples' rights. Let the people vote with their pocket book. I you think cage aka battery egg producing hens is inhumane or not right then buy "cage free" eggs or better yet from someone local. Business will do what keeps them in business. By the way I have been to California and personally the crowed feedlot type dairy's seem as bad if not worse then caged chickens. Talk about smell pollution. My two cents worth.

If laws weren't passed we would still have slavery in the United States.

Changes in laws often serve a good purpose. Often laws are passed to protect people's rights and to protect other things, such as animals or the environment. Most people would not do it out of the goodness of their hearts.

And by the way, you seem to be suggesting a law could be passed to require more space for dairy cows in California.

Last edited:
I think a state has a right not to accept a product from another state. Animal rights is a serious issue. And that includes chickens.

I think that a smart chicken company would use larger cages, and advertise how it "cares" about it's chickens, and make people go "awww".

FogHorn LegHorn was not just a chicken
Bugs Bunny was not just a rabbit
Charlotte was not just a spider
Mighty mouse was not just a rodent

Were these small cage keepers kids once? Did they not get attached to these animal stars?
If larger cages mean less profit, it should have never been done to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom