Mister okay for 6 1/2 chicks-it's hot hot hot here

YES...mine love it
wink.png

You may have to show them that it is ok to use...but do use it

You say "little ones". How old are they? Do NOT put water on little chickens say under three or four weeks of age.

As for as misters, it depends upon where you live. If you live in a high humidity area they are a waste of money and effort. If you live in a very low humidity area such as the desert southwest of the U.S. then they can behelpful. No commercial grower that I know of in the southeast uses misters at all. The reasons are that adding more humidity to an already humid climate does little to cool the chickens and adds a lot of moisture to the feed and to the litter. This raises the specter of moldy food and bacteria growth in the litter. What is used in the south are fans and lots of 'em where chickens are stacked one to the square foot in 100+ degree temperature.

You do not say where you are located, so a mister could or could not be helpful. No matter where you are you need the following:

Shade. Preferably underneath trees.
Ventilation. Lots of it to remove the heat from around the chickens. This is where a fan comes in.
Water. Drinking water. Doesn't have to be ice water, but should be clean.
Dirt. For them to scratch in and have dirt baths. This is the number one natural cooling method for chickens.

Don't worry about them panting. This is how their body gets rid of heat and is not an indicator of overheating. Very much like you when you sweat.

Last edited:
Thanks. They have shade and plenty of water. I live in the Valley outside of Los Angeles and it's not humid not now, it's actually pretty dry. They have dirt to bathe in too. But thanks for all the tips and I'll look into getting a fan for them. I hadn't thought of that.

I really do not know where the idea came from that misters are not viable in high humidity areas. We live in Central Florida (high humidity) and my chickens would not survive without the misters. I only have them in a portion of the run and do not let it get on their food or inside their coop. In the beginning they were not sure about them, but now they stand in them during the heat of the day and the misters cool that area by at least 10 degrees. You can get a cheap and effective misting system at Lowes or Home depot that has a string with 5 misting heads. I set mine up so it mists in about 1/3 of their run area and they work great.

I'm in Texas and people are losing birds faster than they can get them. I have misters running and like the other poster I don't let it get to the feed. It cools them and the ground they walk on. And lowers air temps around them. Even 2 degrees is a lot when it is 100 or more. I had fans here but just blowing hot air on them made them worse. I put ice in front of the fan but it melted way to quick to be of much help and not practical when 20 lbs of ice cost almost $5.00.

Basically it depends on the age of the chick, and if it is something you think is needed. Everyone here has their own ideas and ways of doing things.

Best of luck with your babies.

Hello LA person! I'm an hour north of Los Angeles and I'm totally getting a mister installed. Ugh, this heat is awful.

Back
Top Bottom