Mites and Lice! How to Exterminate?

Prince and Pavo

Songster
Apr 4, 2023
Hello!

Yesterday, I noticed a couple of my chicks that seemed to have less fluff/feathers on the neck and head, so I went to investigate them. I found lots of nits (eggs) near the base of the feather shafts on the neck and it looked like it had been scratching its neck and broken some feathers off in the process, hence the missing down/ bald neck. I also saw a few lice scurrying around on the skin. After further inspection, I found some red/orange bugs which I’m assuming are Northern fowl mites near the eyes and vent. I forgot to check under the wings. I looked at some other chickens as well, and I’m not exactly sure if they have them too, as I either can’t see them or it’s not nearly as bad as the other chicks. I know that if one has them though, then most likely they all have them. I’ve read about treatments in my books, but found a little bit of contradicting information, but also not much info at all. Two books said to use DE in their dust bathing areas (which I already thought would work), but the other one said to never use it, as it can harm the chickens. I know that it probably wouldn’t be the best option to include it regularly, but then again, if it helps prevent infestations, would it be worth the risks? I read about spray and powder treatments, and I’ve heard that powder is better. I’m not sure what to use though, as I don’t recall any of the books mentioning a specific insecticide! I’ve also read that it may be multiple step, several week process of repetition to eliminate them completely. Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, or advice is greatly appreciated. I’d like to rid my birds of these parasites as soon as possible! TIA!

Permethrin garden dust or the ready mix horse spray are good for treating lice and mites. Mites should be retreated in 5 days at least once, and lice should be treated in 7 days intervals at least twice. Then empty your coop and nests of old bedding, then spray roosts, nests, and the coop before adding new pine shavings or sand. Straw may harbor or you may bring in mites on straw, so I would not use it. You can get Permethrin 10 concentrate to use diluted in water, which would be cheaper to use especially in coop treatment, but be sure to mix it correctly. Chickens should not be sprayed, but dusted in cool weather. Elector PSP is recommended by some for lice and mites, but it is more expensive. I would read a couple of good articles about lice and mites, what each looks like, and how to control them. They can be hard to completely get rid of, but control might be a better term. Here are 2 good articles:
https://cpif.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/LIce-and-Mites-copy-3.pdf

https://the-chicken-chick.com/poultry-lice-and-mites-identification/

Straw may harbor or you may bring in mites on straw, so I would not use it.
100%

Straw is the remanent of a harvest and has sometime sat on the field for a long time before being harvested. Full of dirt and other junk.

We switched to hemp bedding and will never, ever go back. It is more expensive than anything else, but stays incredibly dry and lasts much longer than pine shavings.

Back
Top Bottom