Mites/flea treatment!

TmoneyHoney6

In the Brooder
Aug 23, 2023
It's colder that an Eskimos lunch outside and ofcourse we noticed mites or fleas on my bird.
Trying to look for a solution that is agreeable with the cold.
We stripped coop and run and used DE and home made spray.
Trying to find permethrin powder to use on them until we can really bath them when weather permits. I've found. 35% liquid. Not sure if there's a dilition rate needed.
Any tips on how to treat the issue? I don't think the DE baths and coop clean is enough. For some reason in Canada, treatments are a pain in the arse to find. Thanks!

In the USA, 'Poultry Dust' is permethrin dust, available at farm stores everywhere. Permethrin spray is good, on the birds in moderate weather, and is best on the coop, walls, floor, everywhere. There should be directions on the permethrin spray container you have.
DE has very limited effectiveness, and is bad for everyone to inhale.
Spinosad is expensive but effective, can you get it in Canada?
Mary

I was under the impression that permethrin was not available in Canada. Could you post a picture of the label and ingredients? In the US most ready to use sprays are 0.5% permethrin. With permethrin 10 concentrate, Gordons, and Martins brand, it is mixed with water according to the label for poultry, for mites, barns, etc.

It's colder that an Eskimos lunch outside and ofcourse we noticed mites or fleas on my bird.
Trying to look for a solution that is agreeable with the cold.
We stripped coop and run and used DE and home made spray.
Trying to find permethrin powder to use on them until we can really bath them when weather permits. I've found. 35% liquid. Not sure if there's a dilition rate needed.
Any tips on how to treat the issue? I don't think the DE baths and coop clean is enough. For some reason in Canada, treatments are a pain in the arse to find. Thanks!
If you have 35%, the dilution will be close to this:
1705853566004.png

I was under the impression that permethrin was not available in Canada. Could you post a picture of the label and ingredients? In the US most ready to use sprays are 0.5% permethrin. With permethrin 10 concentrate, Gordons, and Martins brand, it is mixed with water according to the label for poultry, for mites, barns, etc.
Saw on Amazon not sure if it's not shipped from US
It was 0.35% permethrin.
There's not alot of options here.

I use garlic crystals. Not on the floor, in the chicken. A pinch once a day for three straight weeks should get them off the chickens.
What are "crystals" is that home made? Do you feed it to them or apply it topolically?

I feed it to them.

I buy it in a little container from our local co-op. The little specks are bigger than powder, smaller than granulated sugar. When I open the lid it's pretty obvious that it's garlic.

Back
Top Bottom