Mites in my Waterer

Are you sure they are mites? They usually burrow and hide. If there are mites all over, you should treat all your chickens. There is a spray for it, it’s called permethrin (that might not be how it’s spelled).

There are hundreds of mites in and on my waterer. What should I do?

Fire.

I am not joking - not completely anyway. I got sick of the mite invasion earlier this year and got my flame weeder and went to town in the coop. I was hesitant to use any stronger chemicals and they were EVERYWHERE! Crawling up my legs and all over the feeders and waterers too!

However, I wouldn't recommend this if there is any risk of causing a bushfire, or there is a lot of flammable material around, or if you're not confident with managing fire risks, safety and so on. My coops are predominantly mesh and metal so I didn't have a particularly hazardous environment to torch.

Fire.

I am not joking - not completely anyway. I got sick of the mite invasion earlier this year and got my flame weeder and went to town in the coop. I was hesitant to use any stronger chemicals and they were EVERYWHERE! Crawling up my legs and all over the feeders and waterers too!

However, I wouldn't recommend this if there is any risk of causing a bushfire, or there is a lot of flammable material around, or if you're not confident with managing fire risks, safety and so on. My coops are predominantly mesh and metal so I didn't have a particularly hazardous environment to torch.

I NEVER recommend fire in a coop.....obvious reasons.

Permethrin 10 is the correct product to use. Mix according to package directions and treat everything including birds. Repeat in 7-10 days.

https://www.durvet.com/product/permethrin-10/#:~:text=Permethrin 10% Durvet's Permethrin 10% is a long-lasting,excellent residual activity for up to 28 days.

Last edited:
Here they are in the water a few hours after I dumped it! Already back! :( :rant
1605296206654.png

And now they are all over the entrance to my coop!
1605296147405.png

I think we have seen these before....I do not recall what they ended up being but they are not chicken mites.

@aart do you recall seeing these in another thread? I THINK you may have responded in that thread I am recalling.

Back
Top Bottom