Mites in nesting boxes

I never use Sevin dust, ever. I've only used the Orange Guard and food grade DE, so can't really comment on how safe it is. I just prefer not to use it in the coops and in the nest where they sit for long periods of time.

You should not use Frontline products on your birds if you intend to eat the eggs as chemicals from these products have been found in eggs of chickens treated with this. As this is not intended for consumption you should use caution - best avoided.

You should not use Frontline products on your birds if you intend to eat the eggs as chemicals from these products have been found in eggs of chickens treated with this.  As this is not intended for consumption you should use caution - best avoided.

Can you link to information that supports this, please?

Frontline is only approved for use in dogs and cats, and not approved in any food animal species. It lingers for a long time in tissues; not a problem for our pets, but not good to eat. It's easy to use and effective, but other much safer products are available! Mary

We had a very bad mite problem. I tried DE, neem oil, you name it. The only thing that worked was dusting the coop with sulfur powder. I dusted every nook and cranny. I even dusted the chickens with it. You do need to be careful to not breath it in, nor allow the chickens to breath it in. I put the sulfur powder in a plastic garbage bag, put the chicken in the bag up to their neck and shook it around. I found the sulfur powder at the local co-op. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom