Mites? Lice? I need some help please!

chloemae

Songster
10 Years
Apr 17, 2014
PA
I have several button quail in a 40 gallon breeder tank. I have raised them from eggs. No outside contact and their substrate is newspaper pellets and/or flakes from the local feed mill and they eat gamebird starter from the mill as well. They are inside only, in my master bedroom. I care for them meticulously.
Over the past week, feathers have gone missing from the smaller quail's backs. The 2 larger quail have no feather issues. Today when i went to give them water, I noted extremely small light colored 'bugs' all over the black grate on the pen's screen top. A lot of them!
I took the quail out, bathed them, cleaned the tank and changed the substrate and threw out all of the open food and substrate in case of contamination from an outside source before putting brand new 'everything' in again.
My question.....what are they and where do you think they came from? I do not believe myself or my dogs are at risk, if my Google search is correct, in terms of transmission. Also, is there any other product I can use to get rid of the bugs fast? Ivermectin? Dusting powder?
Thank you so much! I truly appreciate your help! So do they ;).

I have several button quail in a 40 gallon breeder tank. I have raised them from eggs. No outside contact and their substrate is newspaper pellets and/or flakes from the local feed mill and they eat gamebird starter from the mill as well. They are inside only, in my master bedroom. I care for them meticulously.
Over the past week, feathers have gone missing from the smaller quail's backs. The 2 larger quail have no feather issues. Today when i went to give them water, I noted extremely small light colored 'bugs' all over the black grate on the pen's screen top. A lot of them!
I took the quail out, bathed them, cleaned the tank and changed the substrate and threw out all of the open food and substrate in case of contamination from an outside source before putting brand new 'everything' in again.
My question.....what are they and where do you think they came from? I do not believe myself or my dogs are at risk, if my Google search is correct, in terms of transmission. Also, is there any other product I can use to get rid of the bugs fast? Ivermectin? Dusting powder?
Thank you so much! I truly appreciate your help! So do they ;).

Light coloured mites are probably grain mites they’re most often brought in on wood shaving type bedding. They’re harmless to your birds but can be quite annoying. The only way to get rid of them is thoroughly clean everything and put all of your bedding and food in the freezer for a few days to kill mites and their eggs.

As for the quail with the missing feathers on their backs that is most likely done by the other birds. Watch out for bullying and separate accordingly.

Light coloured mites are probably grain mites they’re most often brought in on wood shaving type bedding. They’re harmless to your birds but can be quite annoying. The only way to get rid of them is thoroughly clean everything and put all of your bedding and food in the freezer for a few days to kill mites and their eggs.

As for the quail with the missing feathers on their backs that is most likely done by the other birds. Watch out for bullying and separate accordingly.

Thank you, thank you, thank you :). You made my day! I worry so much, and will continue to watch them closely :). You are wonderful, thank you again :).

If needed to treat for bugs... I prefer permethrin spray. It's easy to use, safe, affordable, and effective immediately...
TE006407
Found in the equine section but labeled for use in many animals. Under $8 and lasted my flock of 82+ birds, 2 large goats and 3 medium dogs for about 2 years.

Good suggestion about grain mites. Identifying would be good. At least identifying their intent will help decide what to do going forward. :fl

If needed to treat for bugs... I prefer permethrin spray. It's easy to use, safe, affordable, and effective immediately...
TE006407
Found in the equine section but labeled for use in many animals. Under $8 and lasted my flock of 82+ birds, 2 large goats and 3 medium dogs for about 2 years.

Good suggestion about grain mites. Identifying would be good. At least identifying their intent will help decide what to do going forward. :fl

Awesome, more good advice! Thank you. Yes, I googled and they are 10000% grain mites. I am going to keep a close eye on the quail! Thank you so much :). I appreciate your input :).

TE006407

Better to Google Permethrin SFR (36.8%) and save a few bucks$$$. Get the stuff in a more potent concentration and dilute it to purpose. I use it for everything, house, dogs, birds, yard, tick spray/ hunting ......... oh... etc.

Flyrid-Active Ingredient: Permethrin 0.5%
Permethrin SFR- Active Ingredient : Permethrin 36.8% (Makes tens of Gallons of the stuff)

Better to Google Permethrin SFR (36.8%) and save a few bucks$$$. Get the stuff in a more potent concentration and dilute it to purpose. I use it for everything, house, dogs, birds, yard, tick spray/ hunting ......... oh... etc.

Flyrid-Active Ingredient: Permethrin 0.5%
Permethrin SFR- Active Ingredient : Permethrin 36.8% (Makes tens of Gallons of the stuff)
Thank you, that's great information. :highfive:

I stick with the flyrid... because I don't have to worry about measuring anything or storing extra stuff I will never be able to find. :oops:

Also at about $4/year for such a huge crew, that's very affordable with no extra measuring or mixing. No worry if I got the concentration correct. :)

But, I do appreciate the suggestion and will consider it in the future. :pop

Back
Top Bottom