Mites or Lice? Help!!

ChOOkens

►ChOOken In A Box◄
10 Years
Jun 1, 2009
Australia
I have 2 chickens, an ISA brown and an araucana.
My ISA brown has been broody recently for about 2 weeks. She was sitting on infertile eggs for a few days, then we removed them. My araucana is laying so whenever she does my ISA brown sits on the eggs. She has been acting very disturbed lately and I suspected some pests had been bothering her. I was right.
I turned her upside down and checked the base of her feathers. I saw these small brown bugs, they look to big to be mites.
Please help!! I wasn't ready for this part of keeping chickens. I know at some time they all get mites or lice and we are not prepared for this!! I don't know which shops sell DE ( I live in Australia), or any other dusting treatments.
PLEASE help me! I don't know how to get rid of them!

Extra question: Can humans get mites and lice from chickens??

Last edited:
You find DE at places that cater to cattle and sheep as well as chickens.
If they don't have it at you reg. store start shopping around.
It is not that uncommon and pretty easy to find.........trust me. Cheap too, buy two bags.

Just call a few fodder stores and ask them if they stock it. It is readily available here.
frow.gif

At my feed store they have Mite powder called Pestene (made By INCA) that can be used on cats n dogs and chickens etc... i put it in their dust bathing area and on the chickens... also Mite spray (made By Avitrol) that i spray the coop with when its empty then put fresh shavings in and stuff... seems to prevent Mites...

and make sure its Food grade D.E if u do find it
smile.png

Thank you for the advice everyone! I have never experienced this and I am kind of stressed because of that.
Knowing this helps a lot. Me and my dad are going to our regular feed store tomorrow to see what they can provide.
fl.gif

By the way, can anyone answer if people can get mites or lice from chickens?
And also, the brown bugs were about 2mm long, kind of round. Are they mites or lice?
Thanks everyone!

Thank you for the links, although the second one didn't seem to work.
I am 90% sure that my hen has lice. Soon I will be going to the feed store to see what I can buy.
Thanks for the help everyone.

Back
Top Bottom