Mites or molting?

For you guys who just aren't sure whether it's mites or not... there's nothing lost in treating for mites just in case. I would strongly recommend two drops of Frontline Plus (dog flea/tick treatment) place on the SKIN - not just dropped on the feathers...or you can dab a Qtip in the vial and paint it on. A single dog vial will treat a lot of birds. No matter what type of mite (IF it is mites), this should address them. A liberal dousing of Frontline spray works well too. However, bedding does need to be changed out if it is mites - the Frontline will keep them at bay for a few weeks, but if the coop is infested then they will just get back on the birds after the repellent wears off...

For skittish birds, take them off the roost of the late evening if you're wanting to bathe someone - baby warm water in a sink works well - even my wildest bird seems to enjoy a warm bath if done firmly but calmly...

For you guys who just aren't sure whether it's mites or not... there's nothing lost in treating for mites just in case. I would strongly recommend two drops of Frontline Plus (dog flea/tick treatment) place on the SKIN - not just dropped on the feathers...or you can dab a Qtip in the vial and paint it on. A single dog vial will treat a lot of birds. No matter what type of mite (IF it is mites), this should address them. A liberal dousing of Frontline spray works well too. However, bedding does need to be changed out if it is mites - the Frontline will keep them at bay for a few weeks, but if the coop is infested then they will just get back on the birds after the repellent wears off...

For skittish birds, take them off the roost of the late evening if you're wanting to bathe someone - baby warm water in a sink works well - even my wildest bird seems to enjoy a warm bath if done firmly but calmly...
Do you know that Fipronil (Frontline) has a lifetime withdrawal in poultry per FARAD?

Do you know that Fipronil (Frontline) has a lifetime withdrawal in poultry per FARAD?

Thank you aart! I've been trying to do my research but there is just so much darn info out there. I don't want to risk using something that will potentially jeopardize the quality of my eggs.
I think if I use anything chemical, I will use permethrin first- no withdrawal there right? But I do think I'm gonna try the bath first. I found a flea and tick shampoo that uses neem oil. Since I haven't found any creepy crawlies, I don't want to go all out just yet.

Quote: I've had bare skinned chickens..... bellies, backs, heads......eventually the feathers grow back at molt.
Have seen fiery red skin, that disappeared within a day to a week or so.
Was it caused by depluming mites, I have no idea <shrugs> birds seemed fine, laying, scratching, doing all their normal chicken things.
I prefer to wait before adding something else to the mix that may cause other problems,
until I can positively identify a specific problem with a specific solution.
The only issue worthy of treatment that I've found was lice and lice eggs, so I dusted and problem solved.
I regularly check birds and roosts late at night for creepy crawlers.

Do you know that Fipronil (Frontline) has a lifetime withdrawal in poultry per FARAD?

Our birds here are just pets, so aren't eaten. But we've eaten their eggs for years with absolutely no issues - and it's a family farm...lots of family members eating the eggs too. So at least here, its a moot point.

However, because it's made for dogs (in my case, because I use the dog stuff), there is always risk involved for the animal. Each owner should read and decide for him/herself whether the benefit outweighs the risk.

I use goat, sheep, and/or horse medications on my alpacas (plus Frontline spray), because there aren't any specialized medications for camelids - there's always a risk. But I have to go by what has worked for others, and what experience has shown works for my own animals.

Back
Top Bottom