Mites

I have a new question. I read a quite extensive article about Ivermectin, it said that it was very effective and worked like Frontline, it's put on back of the birds neck and when the mites/louse bite they die. This seemed to be an easier way rather than having to dust all the birds. I realize I may still have to clean and dust the coops. Lastly, if I went this route would I have to discard eggs. thnx in advance

I have a new question. I read a quite extensive article about Ivermectin, it said that it was very effective and worked like Frontline, it's put on back of the birds neck and when the mites/louse bite they die. This seemed to be an easier way rather than having to dust all the birds. I realize I may still have to clean and dust the coops. Lastly, if I went this route would I have to discard eggs. thnx in advance

Yes,14 days is the withdraw period although some people just eat the eggs and will have no symptoms but i wouldn't recommend that.Dusting them is quite easy if they are on the perch.

Last edited:

Well it's been 3 wks since I treated my roos and hens for mites/ louse; I used permethrin powder to dust the coops, and also spread DE over the floors. I treated each bird twice 10 days apart with Ivermectin. It seems to have worked, I'm not seeing any mites/ louse on the bare areas that haven't refeathered yet, or around their vent areas. I also, made them a dusting bin for the to bath in since the don.t get out here since the snow is flying. Here's a pic of one of the girls head, how long does it take for their feathers to grow back ?

Damaged feathers, ones still sticking out of the skin, won't regenerate until it's time to molt. Areas where feathers are missing completely, meaning no shaft sticking up, should re-grow over the next month or so.

Hey y'all, I just got a silkie cockeral from my friend, and I just found out that he is infested with a bad case of mites!!! :eek: there are hundreds crawling all over his face, and there are egg sacks on mostly all of his feathers. I honestly don't want to touch him, but my champion Mille Fleur D'uccle rooster and hen are going to be shown in a 4h show Ina few weeks, and I don't want to get them infested! Should I just give the silkie a bath and pluck out the feathers with the eggs and get mites all over me:barnie? Or should I just get rid of him? He's really sweet and I want to keep him. What should I do? :barnie

Hey y'all, I just got a silkie cockeral from my friend, and I just found out that he is infested with a bad case of mites!!!
ep.gif
there are hundreds crawling all over his face, and there are egg sacks on mostly all of his feathers. I honestly don't want to touch him, but my champion Mille Fleur D'uccle rooster and hen are going to be shown in a 4h show Ina few weeks, and I don't want to get them infested! Should I just give the silkie a bath and pluck out the feathers with the eggs and get mites all over me:barnie? Or should I just get rid of him? He's really sweet and I want to keep him. What should I do?
barnie.gif
Spray with permethrin spray, or duct with permethrin dust. Both can be found at Tractor Supply.

I had good luck with Ivermectin liquid (I think it's 5%) I got it at Tractor supply. Another poultry site had a great extensive article about treating mites, and this was recommended above a lot of other methods. basically, you 1 cc on the back of the neck and its absorbed thru the skin, if infestation is bad a second treatment is advised after 10 days. It worked well and my 6 roos & 6 hens are mite free at least for now. I got the impression they can return. As a back to treating the individual birds, I dusted the coops with the permethrin and put down some DE as well. It is advised to dump the hens eggs for about a week after treating. Good luck.

I had good luck with Ivermectin liquid (I think it's 5%) I got it at Tractor supply.  Another poultry site had a great extensive article about treating mites, and this was recommended above a lot of other methods. basically, you 1 cc on the back of the neck and its absorbed thru the skin, if infestation is bad a second treatment is advised after 10 days.  It worked well and my 6 roos & 6 hens are mite free at least for now.  I got the impression they can return.  As a back to treating the individual birds, I dusted the coops with the permethrin and put down some DE as well.  It is advised to dump the hens eggs for about a week after treating. Good luck.

Welcome to BYC!

The two most common liquid ivermectins are the 1% injectable (10 mg/ml) and 0.5% pour on (5 mg/ml). Either should work well, but would require egg withdrawal.

I wanted to post a follow-up question. I have 6 RIR hens and 1 Australorp Roo in a coop about 12 x 12 ft is this enough room ? (I also let them loose outside their coop in the barn during the day), which about doubles the area available. Four of my hens are missing feathers from heads and back areas predominantly, so I suspect they are pecking one another (no blood drawn that I cane see). Now I did have mites which I got rid of and do not see any return of theses so far. I read in another post that this is a possible stress response to being crowded together and it doesn't seem to be an isolated hen, as I said 4 out 6 are missing feathers. It doesn't look like molting, because the areas seem isolated. Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom