Mix of chicks - breed ID

Bawk Buck Bok

Hatching
Sep 3, 2023
I have five chicks 6 weeks old. First time I've hatched under a broody, so I wasn't able to look at which eggs they came out of. Anyone want to play the guessing game?

Chick #1 is obviously male, big red comb and wattles, large, bold and aggressive. Yellow-pink legs. I'm thinking maybe Leghorn, but he doesn't seem to have the big earlobes? Do those come in later?
IMG_1276.jpeg

Chick #2 is also male. Red pea comb, small wattles, spars with #1, already has pretty showy plumage. A bit more shy and wary of me though. Pretty sure he's an Ameraucana, or some blue-egg laying mix at least.
IMG_1287.jpeg

Chick #3 I'm pretty sure is a pullet. Smaller, very skittish personality. Comb is starting to turn a little pink, but not bright red. No sign of wattles yet. Any breed guesses?
IMG_1295.jpeg

Chick #4 also looks female. Also pretty flighty, comb is still small and light pink. Gray legs.
IMG_1293.jpeg

Chick #5 is a bit of a mystery. A little bigger than the obvious pullets but smaller than the cockerels. Comb is still small and no sign of wattles yet, but it's totally black so I can't check the color like normal. Quite friendly and okay with being touched. I'm leaning girl, but the one worry is that it has some green-tinted feathers on the wings and body (kinda hard to see in the picture.) I've heard that in some breeds hens can have some green plumage while in others it's a sure sign of a rooster. Any guesses?
IMG_1289.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1287.jpeg
    IMG_1287.jpeg
    795.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I have five chicks 6 weeks old. First time I've hatched under a broody, so I wasn't able to look at which eggs they came out of. Anyone want to play the guessing game?
Do you know what eggs were under her?
Matching 5 chicks to 5 eggs can be fairly easy sometimes.

Can you list the roosters and hens in the flock they came from?
Matching 5 chicks to all possible hen & rooster combos in the flock can be more difficult, but sometimes possible.

Matching them to any possible chicken breeds, in any possible combination, has so many possibilities it's quite difficult. (Example: your white one could be part White Leghorn, or part White Rock, or part White Wyandotte, or part White Orpington, or part White Marans, and quite a few less-obvious choices as well.)

Can you list the roosters and hens in the flock they came from?
Matching 5 chicks to all possible hen & rooster combos in the flock can be more difficult, but sometimes possible.
I don't know, unfortunately. Got the eggs from a random person on Craigslist. I'm mostly just curious, and unsure of the sex on the black one.

I don't know, unfortunately. Got the eggs from a random person on Craigslist. I'm mostly just curious, and unsure of the sex on the black one.
I don't know on the gender of the black one. It might be female, might not be, so I would just give it a bit longer and wait to see.

Do you know how many eggs were what color? (white, blue/green, brown, extra-dark brown).

For the white chick, I feel that it looks more like a White Rock (or mix of that breed) than White Leghorn (or mix), just because of the body shape. But that is at best a guess. For the rest, part Easter Egger or all Easter Egger might be likely, but there are quite a few other mixes that could also create chicks with those appearances.

Thank you! I believe the ones that hatched were 2 white, 2 blue, 1 medium brown with darker brown speckles, 1 just brown; there was another black chick that didn't make it through night 1.

Thank you! I believe the ones that hatched were 2 white, 2 blue, 1 medium brown with darker brown speckles, 1 just brown; there was another black chick that didn't make it through night 1.

In that case, here is one possible way they could be matched up with the eggs:

White egg, likely chick #4. This one might have a White Leghorn mother.

Other white egg, I really don't know. Maybe Chick #1? If the mother was a White Leghorn and the father was a bigger breed, that could explain the body shape I think I'm seeing. Or I could just be mixed up about what body shape he has.

Blue egg, I would guess that chick #2 is part Easter Egger (because of the pea comb), so it likely hatched from a blue egg. (Unless it had an Easter Egger father and hatched from a brown or white egg! Which is probably just as likely.)

Brown egg, probably chick #3, who looks lavender in color. I am guessing that chick may be part Lavender Orpington, or maybe even a purebred Lavender Orpington (the lavender color is less likely to show up in mixed-breed chicks, due to the genetics of it.)

Other blue egg and other brown egg (the speckled one), probably chick #5 and the black one that died. The brown egg could have come from a Black Sexlink or a Black Australorp or a Sapphire Gem or a few other options. The blue egg probably came from an Easter Egger.

If chick #3 looks like a Lavender Orpington, then the father might be a Lavender Orpington. For the possible mothers I listed, a Lavender Orpington could be the father of most of the other chicks too.

Note, there is a lot of guesswork in all this. For each chick, I could easily make up several other sets of possible parents that would produce a chick of that color & comb type, from one of the available egg colors. I am guessing partly from what breeds are relatively common at the present time, and my assumptions of what someone is likely to have.

Examples of alternate explanations: chick #2 could have hatched from a brown egg, with the mother being a Blue Copper Marans or a Sapphire Gem and the father a Buckeye. Or chick #2 could have hatched from a white egg, with a Blue Andalusian mother and a Dark Cornish father. (Buckeyes and Dark Cornish both have pea combs.) Or chick #2 could have hatched from a brown speckled egg with a Welsummer mother, and the father could be a pea-comb blue Easter Egger (maybe one of McMurray hatchery's Whiting True Blues.) I'm pretty sure there are plenty of other possibilities as well.

And I could come up with similarly varied options for each of the others.

The black one with a hint of green is probably an Australorp. That's exactly what mine looks like. I also have a half Blue Australorp, half BSL who looks exactly like that one, including the green.

Back
Top Bottom