Mixed Breed Ducks!

Pics

arrowti

Songster
9 Years
Jul 20, 2014
Maine
We have a lot of breed focuses on specific duck breeds - pekins, runners, cayugas, call ducks, etc... but we're forgetting to look at another cool kind of duck - the mixed breeds! There's a lot of cool looking duck crosses and I'd love to see pictures of all of yours if you have any mixes, whether intentionally or by accident!

To start off, we have 5 cayuga/pekin mixes. They look like swedish ducks, but ours have more green/purple sheens in their feathers, brown eyes, and stand differently. They are noisy, noisier than our pekin female, and seem to have 'obtained' the 'nervous pekin' quack gene. Namely, I threw a small rock at a branch that was lying against the electric fence where the pigs are to knock it down and they all started quacking loudly and running away from me!

They lay really good - from 4 mixed females and 1 pekin female we get 4 eggs a day, sometimes 5, and they're two years old. Never broody so far.

Females:

Drake:

What mixes do you have? What are they like? Do you have a favourite cross?

This thread is a great idea.
Mine are only 4 weeks old. I have one pure Call Duckling and the other three are mixes. Either Buff, Khaki Campbell,Rouen, or Cayuga. Will be interesting to see how they turn out.
I will post pictures once they feather out.

This will be a fun thread to follow!

Here's my new mixed breed girl. She's about 3 pounds! I know she's half Rouen and I'm guessing half Cayuga based on her coloring.

Is this thread active still? I am busy making a decision.
These are my six ducks:

The silver ones are RouenxSaxony and I have one RounxRunner or Runner? I don't know whether I should keep the RouenxSaxony drake for breeding and end up with no purebreds for selling next year, or keep a Rouen male. I think I will keep a Rouen drake but what experiences have people had with color when you breed like that? (Ie, A bred with B= AB, A with AB would be AAB)

Back
Top Bottom