minaayindra

Songster
5 Years
Through a lot of research on this site, I think I finally have a workable feeding plan for my mixed flock of chickens and guineas. I'm hoping someone who is more knowledgeable can confirm this is good for them! I have 18 7-week-old chicks (mixed breeds), 1 adult hen of unknown heritage, and 4 guineas.

Due to coop size limitations, I am dividing them into separate coops while they are still young and will get along with their buddies they have grown up with. The adult chicken is another story, she was raised as a broody hen for the guineas and her own single chick, so I'm not sure how well she will do with others. The guineas will have their own tall coop and run, to free-range and come back to the coop when dark falls (hopefully). The medium to small size adolescents, 11, will go into one coop. The larger birds will go into another, 7 of them. I still don't know about the hen, she looks medium but perhaps she should go in with the larger chicks. Eventually, should there be any more than one rooster (and I'm pretty certain at this point that there will be), they will go to their own coop away from the other hens so there will be no fighting.

All this being said because here is what I was planning: to continue giving the medicated starter feed to all the chickens until they are 20 weeks of age. The only ones who haven't used it are the hen and her chick but I believe it is alright for them? I keep reading that calcium is a huge no-no for any birds but layers (she lays eggs but I don't know how to separate her out to give her more calcium). The guineas will get game-bird feed to supplement their free-ranging. Once old enough, the hens will get layer feed and the roosters will get whatever feed is appropriate for them when they are in a different coop... don't know what that is yet. They will all be living on sand flooring, which produces a fair amount of grit on it's own, but I'm not sure if I need to add any more.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this plan and if it is healthy for all involved? Since they will be moving out within the next two days, I'm getting a little more anxious to insure they have the best feed going. Thanks! :fl

Back
Top Bottom