Mixed flock self segregation by breed.

sharon1955

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 18, 2016
Oregon
Does any one else out there have a mixed flock that segregate themselves from the other breed of chickens? I have 4 R I's, 2 silverlaced Wyondottes and 2 EE's. They free range all day, the 4 RI's are always together, the Wyondottes are always together as are the EE's. I find this strange since they were all raised together and are the same age. They all get along just fine together just stay in their own little groups. Any thoughts???
hmm.png

I have 5 ISA Browns and 2 RIRs. Since one RIR is a rooster, he isn't picked on much. But the hen seems to be at the bottom of the pecking order and often keeps away from the ISA Browns.

Last edited:
I think it's because individuals in a breed share certain characteristics. My polish like to range far so they are usually together. My RIR never go far from the shed so they are usually together. So I think your Wyandotte like spending the day doing stuff different than your EE. There's also probably a knowledge to knowing that certain birds look like them too, so perhaps that plays into it too. Just all guesses on my part though.

I think it's because individuals in a breed share certain characteristics. My polish like to range far so they are usually together. My RIR never go far from the shed so they are usually together. So I think your Wyandotte like spending the day doing stuff different than your EE. There's also probably a knowledge to knowing that certain birds look like them too, so perhaps that plays into it too. Just all guesses on my part though.

Makes sense, thanx

Glad to know I'm not the only one that noticed that, "birds of a feather stick together" ...

Since I started up with chickens, I always get an even number of the same breed in a bunch. Once I had 3 BLRW & 1 EE, noticed the EE was always on her own, she was the Alfa & always bossing the others until one day. I saw Ruby (BLRW) go after Topaz (EE) = chicken fight like I never saw and probably wasn't as long as I thought it was. But after that, the EE never picked on the BLRWs and although they ate together, roosted together, when grubbing they kept their distance from each other. So now I make sure I keep an even number of each breed.

I've noticed that although they are all the same age, raised together and get along, they kind of stick to their own breed when hanging out. oldhenlikesdogs post makes sense although I've been told I'm reading too much into my observations.

Glad to know I'm not the only one that noticed that, "birds of a feather stick together" ...

Since I started up with chickens, I always get an even number of the same breed in a bunch. Once I had 3 BLRW & 1 EE, noticed the EE was always on her own, she was the Alfa & always bossing the others until one day. I saw Ruby (BLRW) go after Topaz (EE) = chicken fight like I never saw and probably wasn't as long as I thought it was. But after that, the EE never picked on the BLRWs and although they ate together, roosted together, when grubbing they kept their distance from each other. So now I make sure I keep an even number of each breed.

I've noticed that although they are all the same age, raised together and get along, they kind of stick to their own breed when hanging out. oldhenlikesdogs post makes sense although I've been told I'm reading too much into my observations.

Yep sounds exactly like mine, thanx for posting.

My Orpingtons are always together...My Speckled Sussex are always together. My Ameruacana and Danish browns mingle as a group. I never mentioned it being I thought I was crazy??
Good too know I do not spend too much time with the Birds.

I've noticed the same things. While they run around together, the two Buffs sleep side by side and sometimes wander off alone. Same with barred rocks and Dominiques. The buffs are usually the last to roost.

Back
Top Bottom