mixing a new flock

jool88

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 4, 2014
wolverhampton
Hi all can you give me advice please , I have 8 chicks 12wks and a little roo 11wks , Im caring for my daughters 5 girls who are the same age for ten days , this is day four , they have stayed in thier own little groups in the garden when free ranging and mingled together in the run with just a couple of minor squabbles, however my girls seemed upset at bedtime so they have been put in seperate coups , tonight they have all gone in together and settled quickly my four smaller chicks have cuddled together in the straw the others are all on the roosts , I am worried if they get to attatched will they miss each other when they go home , and will it cause any un-balance in my flock , will it be better to sleep them apart or leave them look forward to any advice please

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Chickens do become some what attached to each other, but if they are comfy being together now, let them all be. Your birds can relearn where to hang out and roost as they age. Just make sure your younger crowd has access to food and water and so it is advised to keep several feeding and watering stations available so the little ones don't have to compete.

Good luck with your flock and welcome to ours!

Thanks everyone for the replies, this site is a great solution to any problem , everyone's so friendly and helpful, these are my first chickens , ive learnt so much so quickly and chickens are the new love of my life .:)

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Chickens are the love of a lot of our lives here at BYC. You've been given some good advice by Mountain Peeps and TwoCrows. Feel free to ask any more questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your chickens.

Back
Top Bottom