Mixing breeds

Cooper Gs Coop

Chirping
Mar 4, 2017
Central New York
My wife and I recently got our first chicks. We got 6 production reds, 2 buff orps, 2 silver laced Wyandotte, and 2 barred rocks. The reds are 2 weeks older than the BO's, BR's and Wyandottes. We have the reds separated from the others but side by side so they can see each other. My question is, being that these are all young chicks ages 4 days to 3 weeks, will they be fine mixing together? I've read adults are tougher to bring new birds into the mix, but I'm thinking the chicks would be fine. Am planning on giving them a week or two separated before letting them run together. Then they'll be a little bigger to work out the pecking order. Thank you in advance.

My wife and I recently got our first chicks. We got 6 production reds, 2 buff orps, 2 silver laced Wyandotte, and 2 barred rocks. The reds are 2 weeks older than the BO's, BR's and Wyandottes. We have the reds separated from the others but side by side so they can see each other. My question is, being that these are all young chicks ages 4 days to 3 weeks, will they be fine mixing together? I've read adults are tougher to bring new birds into the mix, but I'm thinking the chicks would be fine. Am planning on giving them a week or two separated before letting them run together. Then they'll be a little bigger to work out the pecking order. Thank you in advance.
they should be fine, you'll just want to keep an eye on them and give the littles somewhere to hide from the older ones

Thank you. Planning to keep them totally separate for a couple weeks. Then put them into a large pen with two food and water dishes. Hoping working w them daily, bringing an older bird or two in w the younger ones while we supervise will start to get them used to each other.

Well. So far so good. Looking like 1 Roo amongst the bunch. Was told I was getting 6 production reds at TSC. The roo from those 6 is all dark and red and the rest are mixed w white.

Back
Top Bottom