mixing chicks with hens

ralphs

Hatching
10 Years
Feb 9, 2009
Can anyone tell me at what age can you mix chicks and older chickens without them being killed or injured. Should i place them in a cage in the coop first so that they can get used to each other?

I'd say if you can put them separated but in the coop, after they are fully feathered, that would be the way to go. My chicks are 11 weeks old and spending their first night in the coop with the big hens. I introduced them outside first for a few days and then put the chicks in the coop for the night last night. I will be out there at 5am when it's getting light out to be sure that the little ones and the hens are doing OK together. The hens seemed to care very little when they came in for the night and there were 14 impostors in their coop. There was a few pecks here and there but mostly the hens just came in, snacked a bit on grower pellets and jumped up to their roost. I'll let the hens and roo out at full light and keep the young ones in for the day. The older bunch have access to water and shelter even when locked out of the coop since the barn is always open so they should be fine and the young ones can just start getting used to calling the coop home.

Back
Top Bottom