Mixing flocks of baby chicks

Wmaddox

Songster
May 23, 2020
Hi my friend and I got 6 chickens yesterday 3 for each of us. When they are 3 weeks old I have to be gone for a few days and she was going to chick sit. Can they be mixed again or will they fight and hurt each other ?

Attachments

• DB3CE071-0187-4C2F-8E8D-0C047474C0BA.jpeg
    DB3CE071-0187-4C2F-8E8D-0C047474C0BA.jpeg
    306.1 KB · Views: 8
I recommend trying to put the chickens in and seeing how it does. If you notice the chickens fighting it then remove them immediately. However, it is sometimes good to start mixing the flocks at a younger age if you plan to have them mixed when they are older. If this is for a temporary time then either keep them separated or see how they do mixed and remove three if necessary! Hope this helps!!

Hi my friend and I got 6 chickens yesterday 3 for each of us. When they are 3 weeks old I have to be gone for a few days and she was going to chick sit. Can they be mixed again or will they fight and hurt each other ?
They’ll fight a little when you reunite them. But that’s ok, they’re just establishing the pecking order, so don’t freak out if they start to fight, it’ll be ok.:thumbsup

If you mix them at 3 weeks old, they will probably be fine.

They may fight a little bit, but probably not enough to cause any injuries that matter. Or they may not fight at all.

The other option is to keep the chicks separate, and just have two brooders at your friend's house for those days.

I recommend trying to put the chickens in and seeing how it does. If you notice the chickens fighting it then remove them immediately. However, it is sometimes good to start mixing the flocks at a younger age if you plan to have them mixed when they are older. If this is for a temporary time then either keep them separated or see how they do mixed and remove three if necessary! Hope this helps!!
Oh yes that’s good to know as we are both going to mix them with an older flock once they themselves are older. Thank you.

If you mix them at 3 weeks old, they will probably be fine.

They may fight a little bit, but probably not enough to cause any injuries that matter. Or they may not fight at all.

The other option is to keep the chicks separate, and just have two brooders at your friend's house for those days.
I think we will try and mix them but watch them for fighting. If they fight we can move them to a separate brooder.

Back
Top Bottom