MIXING flocks???

bigstack

Songster
10 Years
Jan 4, 2010
Texarkana, TX
I was wanting to get some turkeys this year. can you mix turkeys with JG's? I have a large run and am going to build another coop. I just didn't know the temperment of the turkey. would they get along ok with the JG"s? Thanks for your input. I am still new and don't want them to all turn into a huge royal rumble in the barn yard. LOL

Thanks and God Bless!

mystery to me. we had turkeys as a kid but we didn't pin them with the chickens. they did run loose with them.

Thanks, I havent orderd yet but I would like to. I am thinking with the size of the JG that they all should be ok. Im just not sure.

Thanks and God Bless!

i suspect they would, but you can never tell they personality of individual birds. some just have mean streaks.

I haven't done it, though I've been thinking of picking up a few for the holidays--need to do somemore research first. It seems like there are some diseases that become more common in mixed flocks, blackhead comes to mind, but I'm not sure how much of a problem it would be for just a few turkeys running with the larger flock of chickens. How many birds were you thinking about getting?

More than likely just 2. Myabe a tom and a hen. Or just get a st. run and take what comes. Im wanting some of the Bourban red, I think they are called.

edited the name of turkey

Last edited:
Good question. I'm gonna ask a few of the ol' farmers tonight. If you haven't gotten an answer I'll post.
wink.png

Thanks so much! I thought they would be ok. I just wanted to ask all the great people here first! I dont wanna have to be trying to seperate a big ol tom and a giant roo. LOL ...... Just had a thought. What about them trying to breed each other? I know they can't get preggo. but will they mount each other? Could be kinda funny. at least the giants would be big enough. LOL hahahahaha
lau.gif

Thanks to all! I really appreciate it!

God Bless!

Back
Top Bottom