Mixing grow out pens

Clight

Hatching
May 18, 2023
Hey all,

Somewhat new to chickens. Have had meat birds for years @ the farm but this is the first year we’re adding backyard layers. Currently we have 4 gals - bcm, oe, legbar & silkie ranging from 6-12 ish weeks in our coop. I’m picking up a few 7 week old bantam Cochin frizzles & wondering if after quarantine I can just mix them in at night since they’re all still young, or if I should slowly introduce in the run like I would with older hens.

Hey all,

Somewhat new to chickens. Have had meat birds for years @ the farm but this is the first year we’re adding backyard layers. Currently we have 4 gals - bcm, oe, legbar & silkie ranging from 6-12 ish weeks in our coop. I’m picking up a few 7 week old bantam Cochin frizzles & wondering if after quarantine I can just mix them in at night since they’re all still young, or if I should slowly introduce in the run like I would with older hens.
Beware...people sell sick birds.
If your prepared to deal with sickness then skip the quarantine.

I would think hard before buying more if I were you.

Welcome! You should spend a while reading her to see how many people have been in your exact shoes and regretting buying/adding more.

Beware...people sell sick birds.
If your prepared to deal with sickness then skip the quarantine.

I would think hard before buying more if I were you.
Yes, I’m aware. They are coming from the same flock/place so current ones will have the same illnesses regardless but they will be quarantined 2 weeks. I’m wondering if AFTER I can just mix them in because of similar age or if I should slowly introduce.

Yes, I’m aware. They are coming from the same flock/place so current ones will have the same illnesses regardless but they will be quarantined 2 weeks. I’m wondering if AFTER I can just mix them in because of similar age or if I should slowly introduce.
If they are coming from the same place I would put them together on day one.

Hey all,

They might mix OK, but I'd have a see not touch set up ready to go.

Back
Top Bottom