Mixing older and younger chickens...but only in the run???

Willow's Meadow

Songster
9 Years
Apr 16, 2010
I have 8 month old Buff Orpingtons and Brahma chickens but I might get some baby chicks from Cackle Hatchery in the spring. Would it be okay to mix 5 week old chicks with older hens(like 8-10 month old chickens).....but only in the run??? We'll probably build the new chicks their own coop in the barn away from the other coop.....because the other coop isn't big enough for more chickens. But they would probably go out in the run together. So would it be okay to let them out in the run together??? How would I start letting them out their???

I don't know, at five weeks they might still have a hard time defending themselves. You could always try it and supervise. I have a mixed age flock but I did have trouble getting them all to get along. It helps to have many new small ones and not just a few and I would never add just one. The new ones will hang around each other and be "friends" and flock together.

Well, here is my 2cents worth. When I introduced my serama chick @2months old, to the 4 other gremlins, (all bantam size) I partioned off a part of the run so they could see but not touch. Once I felt that they were all happy campers I let her loose with them but watched them all, once I felt that they wern't gonna pick on her, I left em alone. Everything has been great, they really don't pay much attention to her. Hope that helps. P.S. 5 weeks old is WAAY too young to introduce them to the "crew" UNLESS they have a fence to separate them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom