Mixing Starter and Layer to make Grower Feed?

AmericanKraut

Songster
5 Years
Jun 2, 2014
Minnesota
Hi All!

I just was given two Australorp started pullets from a farmer to join my flock. They're about 12 weeks to 15 weeks. He didn't remember their hatch date. He had them on starter feed of a reputable local brand. If possible, I'd like to skip buying a grower bag since I already have large bags of layer and starter for my other chickens (layer for my mature and starter for chicks in a brooder). Is it comparable to grower feed to mix starter and layer feed together?

Also, these two pullets have rather dull feathers. My other chickens, including mine at 8 weeks, have a bit of a sheen to them, look really brilliant colored and healthy (cream legbars, marans, and EEs) is this just a difference with Australorps? I haven't had them before. Or do you think they were a bit neglected or something? He had probably 40 of the same age that they were with, dirt floor in a few old joined together horse stalls, and it had a bit of an ammonia smell but ample sized space and ventilated. But not as clean as I keep my conditions nor the dirt floor. The pair looks and behaves healthy otherwise. But one is larger than the other, looks about 3 weeks older but he said they're the same age. I'm wondering about stunted growth. They're both squatting when my roo comes by from a nearby pen but seem a little young for that. I have them separate from my flock for now.

I want to give them a solid start and if they are actually off-track with the dull feathers, get them to what they should be.

Thanks so much!

Last edited:
The problem with layer feed is that it is loaded with calcium to make eggshells and it will damage the kidneys of the growing chicks (and grown roosters).

So you can cut your starter with some scratch to lower the protein to make grower (17%). But when doing this, make SURE they have plenty of natural vitamin sources such as fresh grass for grazing or vegetable clippings because that also cuts the vitamin supplement they add to the chicken feed.

I routinely feed my chickens unmedicated starter and grains/seeds as their regular feed, and only occasionally add some layer pellets. You need to have oyster shell on the side so that your layers will get enough calcium if they are eating this mix. Grit is needed as well, either from free ranging in the dirt (sharp gravel) or purchased grit.

Last edited:
Also, these two pullets have rather dull feathers. My other chickens, including mine at 8 weeks, have a bit of a sheen to them, look really brilliant colored and healthy (cream legbars, marans, and EEs) is this just a difference with Australorps? I haven't had them before. Or do you think they were a bit neglected or something? He had probably 40 of the same age that they were with, dirt floor in a few old joined together horse stalls, and it had a bit of an ammonia smell but ample sized space and ventilated. But not as clean as I keep my conditions nor the dirt floor. The pair looks and behaves healthy otherwise. But one is larger than the other, looks about 3 weeks older but he said they're the same age. I'm wondering about stunted growth. They're both squatting when my roo comes by from a nearby pen but seem a little young for that. I have them separate from my flock for now.

I want to give them a solid start and if they are actually off-track with the dull feathers, get them to what they should be.

Thanks so much!
The Australorps take a while to get their shiny adult plumage. Chicks go through mini-molts as they grow up.

They look a bit disheveled when they are growing out - I agree. Do make sure they don't have mites/lice though. You might want to dust them just in case if their feathers look bad. And repeat in 7 days. Dust the coop too. Lice would require an additional treatment at 14 days as well.

There are runts in some flocks. She should catch up in growth.

Last edited:
Put the layer to the side for now. You can start feeding it in a month. It sounds like the new pullets would benefit from the higher plane of nutrition in starter or grower to do some catching up. You won't waste the feed and they will not benefit from the high Ca and lower protein.

Thanks so much to you both! They do have oyster shell grit and range outside. I'm going to get grower just to give them the best odds. Good idea about checking for mites. I did give them a sandbox in a new cat litter box bin when they were out one day and the one of them loved that. The grower I'll need anyway when my brooder box chicks get to that age so it'll get used up anyway, that's just months away. They're newly hatched and my 8 weekers I just have two so they'll be on it sooner, so I didn't want feed for them that wasn't fresh. Put it in the freezer when the Australorps layer? I keep feed in the garage which will be getting pretty hot and humid soon.

Thank you!

Fresh is relative. How long was the feed on the shelf at the feed store, how was it stored and where was it milled. Store it so you don't have moisture condensation (metal trash cans sweat) and keep the bugs out and it will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom