MN wild Mallard with broken wing

Andi

Songster
10 Years
Jul 6, 2009
West Central Minnesota
In summer my neighborhood has a frequent Mallard that waddles his rounds checking out the bird feeder zones. I think (George, as he has been called) escaped a situation with a broken wing. I thought I would share with you all whatever happens.
I did check out the pinned post about what is safe (and not safe) to feed them. (Thank-you!)
This weekend we are dealing with a snowstorm so I would rather not venture out, so I am looking into what I have that can help him, food-wise.
I live in town, so I don't have a barn to keep him warm in. Not that I would be able to catch him very easily anyway.
He 1st showed up at my feeders yesterday. He didn't leave until it was starting to get dark. I had put a mixture of seed out marketed for finch (with sunflower pieces, millet and other small seed) and some corn meal. He was back at my feeders right away this morning.
Screenshot_20191229-134740_Gallery.jpg

Highly doubtful. We have about a foot of snow or more on the ground and his webbed feet are like wearing snow shoes. Even if I could, I have 2 cats and a big dog in the house.
If you could catch him he could stay in a box until you are able to transport him to wildlife rescue tomorrow. If you can catch him, contact a wildlife rescue and see if they will come. If the wing is broken it needs to be set of he might lose the ability to fly, which is a death sentence.

If you want to feed him something other than bird seed you can feed him dry cat or dog food.

If you could catch him he could stay in a box until you are able to transport him to wildlife rescue tomorrow. If you can catch him, contact a wildlife rescue and see if they will come. If the wing is broken it needs to be set of he might lose the ability to fly, which is a death sentence.

If you want to feed him something other than bird seed you can feed him dry cat or dog food.
That's not a realistic option for me. The closest wildlife rehab is about 3 hours away.

I made him a soft mixture to eat. Minute oatmeal, cornmeal, small sized cat food, bell pepper (chopped small) and freeze dried mealworms, all cooked with extra water. After microwaving I cooled it in the fridge. He gobbled it up and came looking for more!

Back
Top Bottom