modern game?

I would do a search, there is lots of info about them here.

I had them as a kid.

1. they are eye candy.

2. They can be broody and give you three clutches a year.... and they are some of the best mammas in the world and the roos will die defending the flock.

3...not much for egg production because of the broodiness

4. egg size is small

We have some cause they look very pretty with there bright colors and all. Some of the hens are great moms some are not, we have one that goes broody alot so we use her as our incubator for our big stock chickens. They lay a small to med size egg mostly white but we do get some that lean more to the brown side sometimes. The ros if you teach them from chicks that your the big mommy or daddy they are very gental towards you but not towards many others. And never let them get near other ros as they like to pen or open fight. All n all they're nice chickens.

Quote:
I have never had a modern go broody ever. here are some of mine
31967_henely_hatchery_chicks_056.jpg

31967_henely_hatchery_chicks_057.jpg

31967_samsung_pics_465.jpg

31967_samsung_pics_458.jpg

31967_copy_3_of_samsung_pics_436.jpg

31967_samsung_pics_469.jpg

31967_copy_of_samsung_pics_438.jpg

31967_copy_2_of_copy_of_samsung_pics_454.jpg

will add more later.
I have around 50 moderns
ok I have more pics now
here is Tank, he is one of my best
31967_henely_hatchery_chicks_068.jpg

31967_henely_hatchery_chicks_062.jpg

Last edited:
Modern Game Bantams have the best personality of any chicken breed I have ever had.

PocoPoyo

I've never had any of mine out of about 100 go broody before either. None even attempted to set eggs. They are moderate layers, bred for exhibition certainly not egg production. Their look is definitely unique, you either love or hate them. They are some of the absolute friendliest birds I have ever had the pleasure to own. They are not in the least aggressive, I keep cocks together all the time, they don't seem to abuse their hens (none of the hens are bald as in some other instances) and they are very hardy. They do not tolerate cold weather well, they do better in the southern states. It affects feather condition for the most part because they are so tightly feathered. If you're going to show them, the males need to be dubbed. Otherwise, you can leave them natural. Very showy, a great choice for ornamental poultry or a very showy youth project for the kids. If you are interested in possibly showing them in the future, pick a solid colored variety as they aren't as hard to keep correct color on. Moderns rock! At least the bantams do.
wink.png

Last edited:
I find mine do go broody every year about June, about the time I am ready to quit hatching.
Sometimes they go broody a little earlier but it is usually hens rather than pullets.
I will set eggs under them and let them hatch out but usually take the chicks away. I toe punch them as I do all of my chicks and put them in a brooder.
I always consider these my bonus chicks.

As far as a beginner starting out with a solid color, I would have to disagree on this.
The Blacks or Whites do not have the type that the Birchens and Brown Reds do.
It is a lot easier to find quality Birchens and Brown Reds than Whites and Blacks.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom