Modified hoop coop

Complete circular arc calculator

I got this from someone else's thread here on BYC & saved it years ago. I'm using it now to calculate how much I need to raise both side of my CP to get my coops to be 10' wide...
Thank you for that link. It's not 100% accurate for cattle panel, as they don't bend into a circular arc. But it should be pretty handy for estimates!

I live in the suburbs and have a narrow odd-shaped space to build a chicken run. The run that came with my coop is small and short (not walk-in.) I’m thinking af building a modified hoop coop, with a narrower base like a arched trellis. It would be framed similarly, with cattle panels reinforced with hardware cloth. I’d like to still have a door for run access. But I would like to place my Omlet Eglu Cube perpendicular at one end, butting it up to the side of the run (similar to the example below), for ease of egg and cleaning. Thought I’d ask for thoughts, tips, insight before proceed.
I did a hoop coop with cattle panels and 2x4x16' PT lumber. My build thread might give you some ideas. It's rather long, but I made an index with links, here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/fuzzis-chicken-journal.1550586/post-26819925

I'm looking forward to seeing your build!
:pop

Made great progress on day one! I was able to expand the width to 5’x12’. Next, is framing out the ends and covering with landscape cloth. I used 2x6 pressure treated lumber for the base, as I plan to cover the run with a layer of pea gravel (for improved drainage) and construction sand. The door will go on the right-hand end and my Omlet Eglu Cube on the left where it will be shaded by the tree. Fortunately, my neighbor was welcoming to the idea of me having hens and I told him that I bring him eggs! 😉
IMG_5298.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5299.jpeg
    IMG_5299.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5300.jpeg
    IMG_5300.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9
I was able to expand the width to 5’x12’.
Did you shorten panel at all..or use the full 16'?

as I plan to cover the run with a layer of pea gravel (for improved drainage)
If you already have drainage problems, pea gravel won't help.
Gravel will collect poops, and any water will make a noxious tea.

I plan to cover the run with a layer of pea gravel (for improved drainage) and construction sand.

Will the run be fully-roofed and absolutely dry? Sand bedding does best in a dry climate and needs to be scooped VERY frequently for best results.

Wet sand/gravel REEKS because, unlike organic material, the poop doesn't compost, it just rots.

(BTW-- if you put your location into your profile we can give better-targeted advice).

What form of drainage problem do you have?

Water running *through* the coop can be managed with diversion ditches or other grading that diverts the flow around the coop/run.

Water pooling in a low spot can be led away by French drain to an even lower spot or the ground can be built up with either fill dirt or thick layers of bedding. Coarse wood chips are usually considered the gold standard for the management of mud and odor. :)

Back
Top Bottom